Author Topic: Banks Header  (Read 3006 times)

JohnnyO

Banks Header
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:58:41 PM »
Has anyone had a Banks header that DIDN'T crack?  I mean like after two or three years?
Just asking before I shell out money.  Getting closer to pulling the trigger and getting one.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Banks Header
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
Has anyone had a Banks header that DIDN'T crack?  I mean like after two or three years?
Just asking before I shell out money.  Getting closer to pulling the trigger and getting one.

http://www.stans-headers.com/  See if these guy's can make one. They don't list them as a in stock item, but I would imagine they have made them for the 4 banger Jeeps. I like their tri-Y design. And everything is gas welded by hand to prevent cracking.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 06:54:13 PM »
yeah, mine cracked...but it's still under warranty.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:45:21 PM »
http://www.stans-headers.com/  See if these guy's can make one. They don't list them as a in stock item, but I would imagine they have made them for the 4 banger Jeeps. I like their tri-Y design. And everything is gas welded by hand to prevent cracking.

Gas or Tig.  As Tig should be stronger.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
Gas or Tig.  As Tig should be stronger.

Their site says Gas. Nothing is wire fed.

To our valued customer, “We make the highest quality headers available.” Before you install these headers, please check out our quality. Look inside the collectors, there is no “Wire” or "Bee bees" from the welding sticking to everything. They are gas welded inside because this is better. Gas welding is better on the insides because it will last about twice as long as “Wire feed“ welding. This is because gas welding flexes more. Think about how the engine twists on acceleration, and shakes while idling. All of this motion is transmitted through the exhaust system.

The header flanges are ground flat and deburred so they are smooth inside. Our headers utilize the entire machined surface of the head for a gasket surface (not an “o” ring gasket area like other headers). A flat header surface will not warp like "o" ring ports do.

These headers are clearanced for the header bolts and box end wrenches. Can you imagine that? Someone in the automotive business is concerned about accessing parts and fasteners. We think that's unique.

We make the best headers because all of our header builders take pride in what they make. These builders are the reason you are looking at this quality. Without them we would be only machines and equipment. Our entire staff work as a “team” and will always give our customers 100 percent. As a business owner I consider myself “Blessed” to have this quality in my employees.

Please accept my sincere thanks for choosing “Stan’s Headers”.

Respectfully yours:
Stan Fuller

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 09:58:35 PM by FourbangerYJ »
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 10:22:46 PM »
Tig is not wire feed.  Gas builds more heat in the area and in a lot of cases will make the metal brittle.  Tig does not over heat the area and will make a much stronger weld.

Done a lot of gas welding and have found this to be true.  Also those guys who can tig do some fantastic looking welds.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 10:23:53 PM by grumpygy »
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 10:31:33 PM »
Tig is not wire feed.  Gas builds more heat in the area and in a lot of cases will make the metal brittle.  Tig does not over heat the area and will make a much stronger weld.

Done a lot of gas welding and have found this to be true.  Also those guys who can tig do some fantastic looking welds.

I won't argue that gas is better than TIG. They must be doing something right since they have been doing it this way since the 60's.

Here are some nice TIG beads http://www.flickr.com/photos/browndogwelding/5350991399/
I did a fair amount of TIG when I was in welding class. I could not make mine look like those.
Scott~

JohnnyO

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:14:40 PM »
Except that Stan's Headers doesn't list a 4-banger Jeep header and they're as far away from me as you can get and still be in the Continental U.S.  Also I'd bet that even if I could, having a custom-made header will cost north of $1000.
Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:16:35 PM by JohnnyO »

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 05:47:01 PM »
Except that Stan's Headers doesn't list a 4-banger Jeep header and they're as far away from me as you can get and still be in the Continental U.S.  Also I'd bet that even if I could, having a custom-made header will cost north of $1000.
Thanks anyway.

My guess would be in the $400 range. If I get a chance I'll see if I can get a quote. They ship all over the world.
Scott~

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
I called Stan's. They don't do the I-6 or I-4 headers. They said they run to lean which causes the cracking. They had problems with cracking at the collector too. They even tried a thicker metal. Didn't help so they stopped making them.
Scott~

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2011, 03:06:20 AM »
Huh,,, my Thorley header is like ,,, 10 years old,, no cracks so far... Too bad they quit making them!

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Torch_Ind

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »
I called Stan's. They don't do the I-6 or I-4 headers. They said they run to lean which causes the cracking. They had problems with cracking at the collector too. They even tried a thicker metal. Didn't help so they stopped making them.

I can't see it being from running lean.

I'm running a mild steel header pacesetter and it hasn't cracked and we have a cj-5 inline 6 with true dual headers 3 & 3 and his hasn't cracked

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 03:00:47 PM »
I can't see it being from running lean.

I'm running a mild steel header pacesetter and it hasn't cracked and we have a cj-5 inline 6 with true dual headers 3 & 3 and his hasn't cracked

I don't agree with it either, but I didn't want to argue with the guy.
It does seem odd that it would crack at the collector like the Banks.
Scott~

Torch_Ind

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 03:20:45 PM »
I don't agree with it either, but I didn't want to argue with the guy.
It does seem odd that it would crack at the collector like the Banks.

hard to say. might be the design

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 03:43:16 PM »
One of these days I'd like to get someone who orders the Banks to normalize it BEFORE they install it.

Need to heat the entire header up to orange then let it cool slowly...

Its common for tubing to crack when gas or tig welded or brazed if the welds are not normalized.

Tube and cloth airplanes, bicycle frames and some motorcycle frames all had this done.

Dave
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio