Author Topic: valve bridges  (Read 2541 times)

Torch_Ind

Re: valve bridges
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:36:13 PM »
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 04:36:36 PM by Torch_Ind »

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
longitudinal play is required and will always be there - the twisting not so much but it's hard to tell how much clearance is there, only way to tell for sure is with a plastigage. I can't tell if it's fine or not to be honest, the insides look ok and from what i can tell it's fine but just a guess based on what i saw in that video
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Csechols

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
Maybe it could be a wristpin? How could I check the wrist pin with it all still assembled?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
Maybe it could be a wristpin? How could I check the wrist pin with it all still assembled?

on the exhaust cycle of a piston, rotate the crank the way the engine would rotate when running so it pushes the piston up the cylinder, stop and push on the underside of the piston with somethin, see if it moves up, but would be again hard to tell unless it is very obvious. You can also try with the piston all the way down and move the crank back and forth and try to see if there's play between the pin and piston (so the pin would go up and down and the piston would not move

EDIT: how loud is it though, just wondering if you're chasing ghosts. could be just piston slap in which case would be very hard to tell unless you can move the skirt side to side (same axis as the longest part of the skirt) and estimate the clearance. also, inspect the cam since you have the oil pan out and see if there's any unusual wear, that can also cause strange noises
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:45:07 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Csechols

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 06:52:40 PM »
this is a video I posted awhile go. I origionally thought it was piston slap but after compression check each h cylinder had like 147 paid cold. Which made me doubt that's what it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZDBJR6e20&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »
this is a video I posted awhile go. I origionally thought it was piston slap but after compression check each h cylinder had like 147 paid cold. Which made me doubt that's what it was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ZDBJR6e20&feature=youtube_gdata_player
compression could be good but still have slap, of course won't be perfect

is the noise reducing with engine temp?

Csechols

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
When it gets to operating temp , the noise goes away completely unless I'm revving it really high then u can hear it slightly tapping. Its really loud when cold so I just let it worm up for 10 minutes and it's gone

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
When it gets to operating temp , the noise goes away completely unless I'm revving it really high then u can hear it slightly tapping. Its really loud when cold so I just let it worm up for 10 minutes and it's gone

so that rules out the rod bearings (would be more noisy when hot and the oil is thinner), i think it's piston slap or valvetrain noise, why the latter would be after swapping all those parts i don't know, it could be minor lack of preload on one of the lifters for some reason or maybe even a bad lifter but that's quite unlikely since they're all new. A valve stem that is out of spec (that has wear) is also a possibility (and once everything gets hot and expands it goes away). What type of oil are you using btw? 10w30 is recommended for moderate weather, extreme cold asks for 5w30.

Csechols

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 09:46:14 PM »
Using synsyntic 10w30. Would a wrispin always be noisy? No one has ever had their oil pump make this noise?  Or distributor? The sound is most noticeable in that general area... the teeth on the can gear look kinda worn but thief's not much play between the distributor gear and can gear.. . Another thing is that my cam lobes had some wear on the corners of the heel. Not so much that their is is a noticeable groove they are just off colored. My old lifters didn't show any sign of. Bad wear...

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 09:58:32 PM »
i never heard of the oil pump or dist gear to make such noise but that's just me, not sure if possible

i doubt it's the pins but then again nothing's for sure. if it really bothers you you'll still have to take it apart to fix it even if you figure it out before doing so.

start by measuring the preload, that can tell you the state of the cam and/or valves since you replaced everything else  and take it from there. You can also bring the pistons in compression and rotate the pushrods, it can tell you if some or one is rotating freely then it means there's no preload. You can also spin the oil pump by taking out the dist, i doubt that's your issue, the noise would be different though it's hard to confuse it with piston slap or lifter noise.

Csechols

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2011, 03:22:10 PM »
I couldn't find anything wrong with the wristpins or rod bearings. Piston #2 can move around in the bore more than the other pistons. Piston slap! I put a new oil pump in and I'm not not gonna worry about it anymore. Thanks for all the help guys!