Author Topic: Question for TJ owners  (Read 2836 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
Question for TJ owners
« on: November 30, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
This is in regard to the rear floorboard drain plugs. When i lined the jeep with herculiner i was kind of in a hurry and may have covered them. I now need another coat so i plan on grinding down the rear floorboards to try and find them. I have a 98, but i looked on the rear floorboard and didnt find the outline of a round plug like the ones up front. Are they different back there? I crawled under the jeep and saw something that looked sort of like a plug but had metal tabs (sort of like it snaps down?) are these the plugs because my forward ones are just rubber and have no tabs or anything to "snap" them in? If not, could it be that my year doesnt have any? I'd like to have some back there cause it would make a world of difference when i hose out the interior and not cause me to look for an incline and back up it and push all the water forward...
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline neale_rs

Re: Question for TJ owners
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 01:08:29 PM »
Yes, those snap things are the bottoms of the factory plugs, same as on a YJ.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
Yes, those snap things are the bottoms of the factory plugs, same as on a YJ.
+1  Carefully bend the tabs in a little and they will come out.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 07:20:10 AM »
+1  Carefully bend the tabs in a little and they will come out.
so my jeep is different from later jeeps. My buddy with his 2000 TJ was telling me he had a round rubber plug back there same as i do up front. Guess i only have the round plugs up front and the metal tabs in the back. Ill probably risk breaking or losing them so i'll have to leave them in. Perhaps i can order 2 of the front plugs and drill a hole the size of the front drains in my rear floor pan area...
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
so my jeep is different from later jeeps. My buddy with his 2000 TJ was telling me he had a round rubber plug back there same as i do up front. Guess i only have the round plugs up front and the metal tabs in the back. Ill probably risk breaking or losing them so i'll have to leave them in. Perhaps i can order 2 of the front plugs and drill a hole the size of the front drains in my rear floor pan area...

i wouldn't drill, the tub is galvanized, drilling where the water drains would make it prone to rust - just my opinion though.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
They're not that hard to remove and I doubt they will break unless you're really bending the tabs a lot.  They only need to be bent a little.  It's not like you'll be taking them out all the time anyway.  I'd see if you can replace them with the rubber bungs, if you're worried.  I'd bet they're the same size.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 08:27:09 PM »
They're not that hard to remove and I doubt they will break unless you're really bending the tabs a lot.  They only need to be bent a little.  It's not like you'll be taking them out all the time anyway.  I'd see if you can replace them with the rubber bungs, if you're worried.  I'd bet they're the same size.
that's probably a better idea

Offline jagular7

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
I've been told, and haven't confirmed, but the oval shaped floor plugs are shaped exactly as those of the JKs. The difference is JKs are reusable like they are suppose to be. The TJs have a pressure tang that you bend from below. Any type of push usually bends it enough not making it 'tight' upone reuse or breaks it off.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:46:11 PM »
I've been told, and haven't confirmed, but the oval shaped floor plugs are shaped exactly as those of the JKs. The difference is JKs are reusable like they are suppose to be. The TJs have a pressure tang that you bend from below. Any type of push usually bends it enough not making it 'tight' upone reuse or breaks it off.
My TJ has a similar setup for the rear floor board; oval metal plate with tabs. Later TJs apparently have the same round rubber plugs found in the front floor board also in the rear floor boards.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
My TJ has a similar setup for the rear floor board; oval metal plate with tabs. Later TJs apparently have the same round rubber plugs found in the front floor board also in the rear floor boards.
Hmm, they're oval huh?  YJ's are round with no plugs in the rear.  Although I'm pretty sure floor plugs are somewhat standardized.  Might be able to find replacement rubber plugs on ebay.

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »
Hmm, they're oval huh?  YJ's are round with no plugs in the rear.  Although I'm pretty sure floor plugs are somewhat standardized.  Might be able to find replacement rubber plugs on ebay.
Yup, standard round rubber plugs up front and metal oval/rectangular plate held in by tabs in the rear. I herculined right over them and don't intend to use them, the tabs are flimsy and i would just end up breaking them and losing the plate over time (probably within a few uses). So the plan is to drill a hole the size of the forward plug and order 2 front plugs. If i paint the edge of the hole, that should prevent rust, right?

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
Some cold galvanizing paint would be a nice way to do it.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »
Yup, standard round rubber plugs up front and metal oval/rectangular plate held in by tabs in the rear. I herculined right over them and don't intend to use them, the tabs are flimsy and i would just end up breaking them and losing the plate over time (probably within a few uses). So the plan is to drill a hole the size of the forward plug and order 2 front plugs. If i paint the edge of the hole, that should prevent rust, right?
I'd just buy rubber floor plugs.  Like I said someone's selling them on ebay.  No need to reinvent the wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swap-Steel-Floor-Drain-Plug-w-Rubber-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-/370452726231?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5640b401d7

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 03:56:05 PM »
I'd just buy rubber floor plugs.  Like I said someone's selling them on ebay.  No need to reinvent the wheel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swap-Steel-Floor-Drain-Plug-w-Rubber-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-/370452726231?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5640b401d7
OHHH! I misread your original post Jeffy. Well that would work if they are the same size. Funny thing is i re-lined and covered them up with the line LOL. Guess i could grind it back down and see if it is the right size or not.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
OHHH! I misread your original post Jeffy. Well that would work if they are the same size. Funny thing is i re-lined and covered them up with the line LOL. Guess i could grind it back down and see if it is the right size or not.

can't you just measure from underside?
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end