Author Topic: Full door issues  (Read 1024 times)

Nicks92jeeper

Full door issues
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:41:58 PM »
So I have to hard top full doors on my jeep and the door handles are getting worse and worse. I just bought a replacement inner door handle for the driver side door and will need to also replace the outside door handles with new ones due to the shape they are in. It seems that the hardware I have on the doors is getting really difficult to operate as in you now have to slam the door shut in order for it to latch correctly, pull extra hard on the door handles to open the doors and now the window seems to be kinda slipping on the trac it is on.

Any ideas on how to fix these problems? Do I just need to grease the hell out of them or what?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: Full door issues
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 08:10:11 AM »
you need to adjust the bolt to which the door locks onto located in the door opening and possibly also the hinges. I had the same problems you describe when i bought mine, took a lot of fiddling but i got it right eventually.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Torch_Ind

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 09:42:32 AM »
my door latches get full of dirt and crap. I usually have to take them out once a year and clean them out and lubricate them again so they work 100% again

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 07:34:24 AM »
Well after I fix the tie rod in my car I think I will just take the doors a part and clean clean and grease them up. How do you adjust the bolt exactly? Is it a screw out and in type thing?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
Well after I fix the tie rod in my car I think I will just take the doors a part and clean clean and grease them up. How do you adjust the bolt exactly? Is it a screw out and in type thing?

it's a bolt, just loosen it (you need a torx) and you can move it around in/out and up/down. Trick is to find the position in which you can click it twice just by pushing on the door, then move it in (towards the center of the vehicle) little by little until the door is lined up with the tub. you can have it tighten just enough to tap it with a mallet so you don't lose your setup between tries. goal is to have the door equally spaced around the opening and the face of the door same level with the tub.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »
Sounds to me like the catch and the lock mechanism needs cleaning.  Maybe the rods need to be adjusted.  Especially when cold, the old grease hardens up and can make it a PITA to open.  Here's a way to check the alignment.  Look at the catch and bolt when closing the door slowly.  If the door or bolt isn't adjusted correctly, the bolt might hit the metal of the door.  It should be hitting in the center of the catch.  But I still think the catch is dirty and needs cleaning.  Mine catch sometimes doesn't close and it bounced off the bolt.  Need to clean my catch.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."