Author Topic: SOA or SUA what to do?  (Read 3747 times)

Offline BoringDave

SOA or SUA what to do?
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:25:24 PM »
Well I have almost come to the point that I need to figure out what I'm going to do.  Go big or go home?

This is my problem. I ordered the rest of my parts for my axle build and will have them done shortly after the new year. They have no spring perches on them now and I have to order them and install. I have to buy new shocks and a SYE anyway.

I have now OME springs,home made 1" lift boomerang shackles and 33/10.50 km's currently on the jeep.

My axles are front XJ non-disconnect HP30 cleaned of all the coil junk trussed with inner axle sleeves, C gussets, Ruffstuff cover, cryo treated Yukon 4.88's, Grizzly full case locker, Yukon 4340 axles w/760x joints. The rear axle is a c8.25 29 spline with Nitro 4.88's and when I save up the rest of the money a Spartan.

The problem I see is I want 36" bias Iroks but there $1200.00 that I won't have till probably June or July maybe. But the 33's still have some life left in them.

So what of I did a home made shackle reverse put regular old OEM sized shackles back on it and SOA till I can afford 36's.

What would you do?

Dave

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: SOA or SUA what to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:17:37 PM »
If you go SOA you will need to get the steering corrected and more than likely do a anti wrap bar for the rear.
Personally I think the 8.25 is a bit small for the size tire you want to run. 35's are a better choice, more tires to choose from, better prices and they do pretty good with 4.88's.
I say stay spring under and trim sheet metal for more clearance.

P.S. Bias ply tires suck for daily driving.  :trollface:
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:18:49 PM by FourbangerYJ »
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

AGUHR

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:24 AM »
I completely agree on the bias ply comment - I have them now and I dont drive it that much because of the tires, but they are the best tire off road I have used yet. I am going to the 35 inch tire in the early spring, but they will be radial and if the bias ply's are still good I will keep them for offroad use only.

I did my SOA about 4-5 months ago, just finished my rear anti wrap bar and for the front steering I have the HD rugged ridge and bent the drag link so it doesn't hit the pass side spring. Its not optimal but it works for now until I can get a high-steer knuckle. I didn't really have a place to mount the rear antiwrap bar to so we welded a DOM tube across the frame, this will do until I do a belly up and have a stronger skid plate to attach it to.

The SOA flexes way better than my SUA ever did. I will say it take a little to get use to the extra roll and flex offroad but I really do like it.  On the highway I haven't noticed any change at all.

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 08:56:51 PM »
If you go SOA you will need to get the steering corrected and more than likely do a anti wrap bar for the rear.
Personally I think the 8.25 is a bit small for the size tire you want to run.

P.S. Bias ply tires suck for daily driving.  :trollface:

I should have included more details in my oreginal post. The Jeep is a toy/hobby for my son and I. It sits in the shop more then it ever see's the road and when it does it's hooked to my motorhome.

Steering and anti wrap bar are both on my list also. I work for a fabrication shop so things like that and srs's are easy for me.

But it's funny your the first person to question the strength of the 29 spline 8.25. Every one we wheel with said I was nuts if I was going to try and run 36's on a 30 even with all the after market improvements. I have two reasons that I like the Iroks. One is because they are bias ply so they are lighter and I just plain love the tread design.

Dave

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
I should have included more details in my oreginal post. The Jeep is a toy/hobby for my son and I. It sits in the shop more then it ever see's the road and when it does it's hooked to my motorhome.

Steering and anti wrap bar are both on my list also. I work for a fabrication shop so things like that and srs's are easy for me.

But it's funny your the first person to question the strength of the 29 spline 8.25. Every one we wheel with said I was nuts if I was going to try and run 36's on a 30 even with all the after market improvements. I have two reasons that I like the Iroks. One is because they are bias ply so they are lighter and I just plain love the tread design.

Dave
The Dana 30 can handle 36's.  The XJ is a good choice.  You've already upgraded to the bigger U-joints as well. The only downside to the D30 is gear selection.  I'm not a fan of the 8.25 at all.  If you're expo'ing then it's fine but if you're doing any sort of crawling then I'd think again.  It might hold up if you're not beating on it but it will also be the weak link.

'Bias plys are lighter', but you're choosing the heaviest tire at 81 lbs?  Even the TSL's are lighter then the IROK's, 36x12.5R15 is only 61lbs.  (That extra inch of width difference doesn't account for 20lbs.)  Add a steel wheel or even an aluminum wheel and you're looking at close to 100 lbs per tire.

Are you going to SOA on those 2.5" OME's with an additional 1" lift?  Typically, off the shelf leafs aren't going to be nearly as good as custom leafs.  You could get a custom 6" SUA and have it flex as well as a SOA.  Any proper lift, isn't going to need a 1" shackle lift anyway.  Since either is going to be built, I wouldn't plan on using them.  Or cut them down to stock or 5/8" lift which is what Currie does.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
The Dana 30 can handle 36's.  The XJ is a good choice.  You've already upgraded to the bigger U-joints as well. The only downside to the D30 is gear selection.  I'm not a fan of the 8.25 at all.  If you're expo'ing then it's fine but if you're doing any sort of crawling then I'd think again.  It might hold up if you're not beating on it but it will also be the weak link.

'Bias plys are lighter', but you're choosing the heaviest tire at 81 lbs?  Even the TSL's are lighter then the IROK's, 36x12.5R15 is only 61lbs.  (That extra inch of width difference doesn't account for 20lbs.)  Add a steel wheel or even an aluminum wheel and you're looking at close to 100 lbs per tire.

Are you going to SOA on those 2.5" OME's with an additional 1" lift?  Typically, off the shelf leafs aren't going to be nearly as good as custom leafs.  You could get a custom 6" SUA and have it flex as well as a SOA.  Any proper lift, isn't going to need a 1" shackle lift anyway.  Since either is going to be built, I wouldn't plan on using them.  Or cut them down to stock or 5/8" lift which is what Currie does.

Well I'm now ditching the idea of getting Iroks. Today after work I stopped of at the local off road shop to pick up my 8.25 install kit. The owner was working on his personal Sidekick and behold it had 36/13.50-15 Iroks on 10" wheels. Them tires were wide! Like way wide! They looked like balloons on 10" wide wheels! There is no way I'm going to 10" wide wheels so now I need to find another tire.

But anyway I may have confused you. I do not plan on using the 1" lift shackles. My plan was to cut them down to stock 4" on center. I don't even really want the OME springs eather.  But there like new I just bought them a year ago and would like to get some more use out of them.

Also when at the off road shop today I asked the owner about SOA or SUA as I was looking at his rig that was SOA with a streaght axle front conversion.  His reply? Spring over of corse!

I don't know what I'm going to do?  More thinking I guess.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 09:05:59 PM »
if you get/have 8'' wheels i wouldn't run anything over 11.5 wide, 9'' min for 12.5 imo (you ca install 12.5 on 8'' wide rims but will round up pretty bad).
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »
I have seen a YJ with 2.5 inch OME springs SOA on 35's. It looked good and flexed real good. Just need to take care of the steering and anti-wrap.
Staying SUA is easier and cheaper. If you have the time and money to work out the issues, then the SOA is not a bad deal.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 10:28:54 PM »
Well I'm now ditching the idea of getting Iroks. Today after work I stopped of at the local off road shop to pick up my 8.25 install kit. The owner was working on his personal Sidekick and behold it had 36/13.50-15 Iroks on 10" wheels. Them tires were wide! Like way wide! They looked like balloons on 10" wide wheels! There is no way I'm going to 10" wide wheels so now I need to find another tire.

But anyway I may have confused you. I do not plan on using the 1" lift shackles. My plan was to cut them down to stock 4" on center. I don't even really want the OME springs eather.  But there like new I just bought them a year ago and would like to get some more use out of them.

Also when at the off road shop today I asked the owner about SOA or SUA as I was looking at his rig that was SOA with a streaght axle front conversion.  His reply? Spring over of corse!

I don't know what I'm going to do?  More thinking I guess.
Honestly, you'll want to really think about what you want to do with the Jeep and ignore what looks good.  Tank into account the trails you plan on doing and what works for others.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:29:33 PM by Jeffy »
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 12:31:59 PM »
Well after much research I have decided to go with 35/12.50's SOA with my current 2 1/2" OME springs.

This is the tire I plan on running.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_mud_tire_shootout_first_place_hankook_dynapro_mt/photo_01.html

There going to be 1/2 the price of swampers so that will leave me more money for more important things like a rear locker.

Dave

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 01:28:58 PM »
Well after much research I have decided to go with 35/12.50's SOA with my current 2 1/2" OME springs.

This is the tire I plan on running.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_mud_tire_shootout_first_place_hankook_dynapro_mt/photo_01.html

There going to be 1/2 the price of swampers so that will leave me more money for more important things like a rear locker.

Dave

Make sure you do a lot of research on axle wrap.

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
Make sure you do a lot of research on axle wrap.

Yep already on it!

I ordered MORE anti-wrap spring perches and am going build a traction bar after I get the axles in place.

Dave

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:47:38 PM »
Yep already on it!

I ordered MORE anti-wrap spring perches and am going build a traction bar after I get the axles in place.

Dave
I kinda liked the Bam Bar.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 12:10:43 AM »
Check out the Q78 TSL, the size is approximately 36"x11.5"x15" and has the deepest tread of any Swamper short of the Bogger.  It's a lot of bang for the buck.

Good choice on the SOA conversion.  I run SOA with the RE 1.5" springs and very happy with the setup.  I've limited uptravel to a few inches so most of the suspension travel is droop.  No problems with axlewrap here.  I'd also avoid a SRS setup for offroad use.

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
I kinda liked the Bam Bar.

That's what I've been researching, The only thing I don't like is welding to the cast center even knowing I have the proper equipment and skill. I think I have devised a way to bolt it on

Dave