Author Topic: What tranny are you running??  (Read 2319 times)

N8whitie

What tranny are you running??
« on: December 24, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
Merry Xmas everyone.... well, I guess happy holidays is the new and improved greeting now so happy holidays!
 I was just wondering what tranny everyone here has paired up with their 4 banger?? I have a '95 YJ and am running the stock AX-5 but keep reading and hearing that with axle/gear...etc upgrades that the AX-5 will eventually fail for sure. If you guys did switch trannys out, what did you swap it with and how difficult was it to get it to work?? ( ie adapter kits, new bellhousing, modified shafts) and last.. are you happy with the performance?? or any outlying problems noticed??

I've always heard the AX-15 is pretty solid but you have to find a bellhousing from a Dodge Dakota and a few other things to make it work.

Anyways, Thanks for any answers in advanced, I hope everyone is kickin' ass this season.  - Nate

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
Re: What tranny are you running??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
nv3550 out of an 02/03 4.0L TJ, check my drivetrain upgrades thread for details on the swap (same as an AX5 to AX15 swap), fairly straight forward if you have all the parts other than modifying the transmission mount, you'd need a new input shaft for the t-case if you want to keep yours (21 vs 23 spline i believe).
I'd really like a 6spd but the bellhousing on those is not removable so that means either an adapter or some cutting and welding and a lot of mockup work for that.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

N8whitie

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
Thanks man! Funny you say that as I was JUST reading an article on that swap and sounds like the NV3550 is a good one.... more than stong enough and shouldn't be too hard to locate one. I'm going to check yours out right now. Like you said, a 6 spd would be nice but I'm not looking to get into that much mod/fab work for it.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »
AX-15 has some of the same issues as the AX-5.  Hard shifts until warm.  Personally, I'd go with a NV3500/3550 or a NV4500.  OR if you wanted to keep teh AX-5 get a beafed up one from MartinCrawler.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2011, 03:38:32 PM »
Thanks man! Funny you say that as I was JUST reading an article on that swap and sounds like the NV3550 is a good one.... more than stong enough and shouldn't be too hard to locate one. I'm going to check yours out right now. Like you said, a 6 spd would be nice but I'm not looking to get into that much mod/fab work for it.

i located a low miles 6spd and I am strongly considering it, it has a granny 1st which is really nice and i'd like to get larger tires (35s) so that would put me back closer to stock ratios for the first 5 gears, the 6th would be out of question with 35s or would see very little use. Maybe a project for next summer.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2011, 04:04:44 PM »
i located a low miles 6spd and I am strongly considering it, it has a granny 1st which is really nice and i'd like to get larger tires (35s) so that would put me back closer to stock ratios for the first 5 gears, the 6th would be out of question with 35s or would see very little use. Maybe a project for next summer.
Make an adapter plate for the 2.5L that matches the 4.0L/2.4L pattern.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 05:49:53 PM »

there are a few problems with that, just at first look the main bolts (the ones located about the same level with the crank/input shaft) seem to be close enough to not have enough room for threads. The other issue is that I would push back the transmission by about the same amount as the thickness of the adapter, but that i think might be ok since the Dakota bellhousing is already deeper by about 3/8 or 1/2'' (can't remember exactly) and my Advance Adapters pilot oilite bearing is sticking out by that much. Most likely that's the best way to go but i'll have to figure it out, need to make a plate centered on the t/o bearing sleeve and mark both bellhousings on it, then i could tell what's involved (might be a combination of the 2) - need to see how much he wants for it first, might do a trade in with the NV3550 once i'm done with the swap.

JohnnyO

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
3 spd automatic, no OD.  RPM is high. :yikes:  MPG is low. :driving:
But it's my daughter's first vehicle and that's why it was cheap.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 04:20:46 AM »
It's how much power into the transmission that effects its longevity, not gear ratio or tire size after the transmission.  Maintenance and proper fluid are also major factors.

I'm still rockin the AX5 until the 4L60e goes in behind the 4.3L.

N8whitie

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 09:55:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going with the NV3550. Seems to be plenty tough and have enough available adapters to where it won't be a total PITA getting it to fit.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 11:18:56 AM »

i picked up the 6 spd yesterday  :yikes:

we'll see if i can make it work

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
My new jeep has the NV3550. Only two issues for me. One, with the 1" body lift, it pops out of second from the change in position of the stick. Two, it's nice having the 4 to 1 1st gear, but it's not much for starting out. Then, the 2nd gear is 2.33 to 1, and its a bit tall to start out - makes my clutch hop after it warms up. I'm also running about 12% undersped with 4.88 and 35".  Overall, I really enjoy it, but wanted to point those out as an FYI from my point of view. The 4 to 1 1st gear is nice to jump into when in 4H and not always needing to go 4L.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 01:28:04 PM »
i picked up the 6 spd yesterday  :yikes:

we'll see if i can make it work
Well, make a second 'kit' for me.    :wall: :lol:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 01:30:11 PM »
My new jeep has the NV3550. Only two issues for me. One, with the 1" body lift, it pops out of second from the change in position of the stick. Two, it's nice having the 4 to 1 1st gear, but it's not much for starting out. Then, the 2nd gear is 2.33 to 1, and its a bit tall to start out - makes my clutch hop after it warms up. I'm also running about 12% undersped with 4.88 and 35".  Overall, I really enjoy it, but wanted to point those out as an FYI from my point of view. The 4 to 1 1st gear is nice to jump into when in 4H and not always needing to go 4L.
You can fix the first issue by trimming cover plate or even just adjusting it if it's not that far off.

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
The prev owner already bent the stick into the best position. It really just needs a tummy tuck tranny plate.  :naughty: I've been putting it off expecting the tom woods drive shaft will probably need to be changed out.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin