Author Topic: Control Arm Bushing Change?  (Read 1177 times)

Wheezer

Control Arm Bushing Change?
« on: January 20, 2012, 11:10:58 PM »
Does anyone here have any advice for removing the old rubber bushings from the axle side of the front upper control arms on a TJ? I used a press to remove the bushings from the lowers and will use a torch on the arm side of the uppers but the FSM recommends a "special tool"  for removing the bushings on the axle side. Suggestions accepted here. Thanks!

Wheezer

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Re: Control Arm Bushing Change?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 09:00:14 AM »
I don't see why your blue tip wrench (torch) won't work.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Wheezer

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
I was thinking that but wasn't real comfortable with setting my wife's Jeep on fire. You know, the more I work on her TJ, the more I like my YJ.

Wheezer

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 12:29:40 PM »
I don't see why your blue tip wrench (torch) won't work.

is there an outside sleeve that needs to be pulled (pressed) out? i don't have a TJ so i don't know if there is one or not.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Wheezer

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 12:41:20 PM »
They are Clevite rubber bushings with a metal sleeve through the center. The factory presses them in with a gazillion ton press. I'm not sure if they use an adhesive but they were TOUGH coming out of the lower arms using a 12T press and gobs of PB Blaster. The fun part is that you can very easily destroy the arms pushing these monsters out. The dealership just replaces the arms when the bushings are worn out. I replaced them with Energy Suspension poly bushings, easy to install and what a difference in ride quality!

Wheezer

HikeNC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:29:04 PM »
I'm building a HP30 at the moment and I'm going through the same problem.

First, heat the bushing just enough to push the inner (small) sleeve out.

Next, take a sawzall and cut the bushing from the center to the outer sleeve in several places.  This will allow you to beat the bushing out with a chisel.

Finally, find the side of the outer sleeve that has the big "lip" on it.  Take a small chisel and beat the lip to the inside all around the sleeve.

You should be able to chisel the sleeve out from the "non-lip" side at this point.

This is exactly how I just removed mine.  I used a ball joint press to put the new ones in.  Carquest keeps the bushings in stock.  Pay attention to the bushing on the differential side.  It doesn't go all the way in. 

PM me if you have any questions.  This project was a real pain in the balls.