Author Topic: 4.5" or 5.5" Rubicon Express Coil Springs?  (Read 5949 times)

Offline aka-justin

4.5" or 5.5" Rubicon Express Coil Springs?
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:34:04 PM »
I have a 4" Tera Flex Long Arm lift on my 03 Rubicon and the springs are sagging. I'm about 99% sure the shocks are all 4-6" lift rated and the rear drive shaft is a tom wood's. The only bad I see is the upper rear control arms are still stock or just non-adjustable. I'm thinking about getting the Rubicon Express coils next month, but wasn't sure if I should just get the 4.5" coils or squeeze the extra 1.5" in from what it was originally setup?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
Re: 4.5" or 5.5" Rubicon Express Coil Springs?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:09:33 AM »
5.5" is too much for a short-arm suspension to work properly, especially without a SYE and adj. UCA's.  I'd stick with the shorter springs, and add a 1/2" spacer if they settle a little.

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
The current trend is to keep it low.  If the tires fit, it's probably better not to lift it too much more.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »
5.5" is too much for a short-arm suspension to work properly, especially without a SYE and adj. UCA's.  I'd stick with the shorter springs, and add a 1/2" spacer if they settle a little.
It has the NV241OR transfer case that has no slip yoke.

The current trend is to keep it low.  If the tires fit, it's probably better not to lift it too much more.
Good point.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 08:07:21 AM by 1995yj »
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 12:57:59 PM »
Who even makes Rubicon Expresses stuff now?  Now that they're owned by Transamerican Auto Parts, are they getting their made by McCoy Brothers who does their and many other lifts?  Not a huge fan of Transamerican.

As for lift, I like shorter not because it's a new fad but because it gives you a better vehicle.  but like BH said, 5.5" is too much for short arms.  4" is usually the limit and 3" is even better.  But with a winch, bumpers and everything else, the springs will probably settle to 4".
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
Who even makes Rubicon Expresses stuff now?  Now that they're owned by Transamerican Auto Parts, are they getting their made by McCoy Brothers who does their and many other lifts?  Not a huge fan of Transamerican.

At least suggest what you DO like... I've heard better than worse about R.E.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:14:35 PM by 1995yj »
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:25:01 PM »
At least suggest what you DO like... I've heard better than worse about R.E.
RE closed for a while and then got bought by Transamerican Auto parts late last year.

If all you're looking at doing is getting an extra inch or so, then why not add some cheap spacers to your current 4" lift?  I always like ACOS adjustable spacers but they're kinda expensive.  Although they do allow you to compensate for sag and even driveline torque which causes the driver rear to sag a bit more then the others.

Since your lift is Teraflex, why not stick with teraflex?  The springs would have been designed for the suspension anyway.  Not only are you dealing with lift but also spring rate.  Which may or may not be the same.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 08:59:51 PM »
RE closed for a while and then got bought by Transamerican Auto parts late last year.

If all you're looking at doing is getting an extra inch or so, then why not add some cheap spacers to your current 4" lift?  I always like ACOS adjustable spacers but they're kinda expensive.  Although they do allow you to compensate for sag and even driveline torque which causes the driver rear to sag a bit more then the others.

Since your lift is Teraflex, why not stick with teraflex?  The springs would have been designed for the suspension anyway.  Not only are you dealing with lift but also spring rate.  Which may or may not be the same.

The TeraFlex springs are sagging. I was hoping to get a little bit better spring. (And maybe squeeze a little more height.)
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
The TeraFlex springs are sagging. I was hoping to get a little bit better spring. (And maybe squeeze a little more height.)
How bad are they?  most spacers are 2" boost.

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
How bad are they?  most spacers are 2" boost.

The springs are sagging all different. Front right is .5", rear right was 1-1.5" prior to last Saturday's Ocotillo Wells trip. Now, the back end is bottoming out, I'd say at least 2" sag on both sides if not just weakened badly. I've also read a few people have issues with pre-mature sagging on TeraFlex, so I was hoping to replace them all. I'm thinking they're all about as old as my tires, which are 2003-2004. My other thought was Currie's springs, but they want another $100 per set (front or rear). Ultimately, I want some springs that are comfortable, but last and can hold up to the swing out rack. The R.E. seemed like a good middle ground and had a long history of good reviews. I wasn't aware of the sell off.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 09:54:56 PM by 1995yj »
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 11:28:52 PM »
If you want your new springs to last, make sure your bumpstops are extended properly to limit uptravel.  Way too many TJ owners repeatedly over-compress their suspension and wear out their springs prematurely in the name of 'cool' articulation.

Droop is where the performance is at.

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 12:02:35 AM »
If you want your new springs to last, make sure your bumpstops are extended properly to limit uptravel.  Way too many TJ owners repeatedly over-compress their suspension and wear out their springs prematurely in the name of 'cool' articulation.

Droop is where the performance is at.

Good point. I have 2" rear bump stop spacers and 3" front bump stop spacers. I'll extend the rear to 3".
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:18:26 AM »
Maybe go all out for some Deaver coils.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 mud tires, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
The springs are sagging all different. Front right is .5", rear right was 1-1.5" prior to last Saturday's Ocotillo Wells trip. Now, the back end is bottoming out, I'd say at least 2" sag on both sides if not just weakened badly. I've also read a few people have issues with pre-mature sagging on TeraFlex, so I was hoping to replace them all. I'm thinking they're all about as old as my tires, which are 2003-2004. My other thought was Currie's springs, but they want another $100 per set (front or rear). Ultimately, I want some springs that are comfortable, but last and can hold up to the swing out rack. The R.E. seemed like a good middle ground and had a long history of good reviews. I wasn't aware of the sell off.
Having different levels of sag is normal.  The rear driver side will sag the most typically by about .5".  You could go with JKS ACOS adjustable spacers.  These have a minimum of 2" IIRC and a max around 4".  So you'll be able to dial in the suspension rather then hope for the best.

Limiting up travel would probably help.  Many people want as much up travel as down but in reality, most of what you want is down travel.  So having only 2-4" up isn't a big deal.

Deaver springs are going to be $$$.  Abought $5-600 a pair.  Although they will be custom and probably won't sag nearly as much as an off the shelf.  The only springs I see on Deavers site are Jeepspeed and those are going to have a high spring rate which won't be good unless you're doing high speed stuff.

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 05:40:51 PM »
Switch to leafs!  :lol:  :wall:
The Currie springs are nice for a off the shelf spring. Not sure on the other spring brands. How about BDS or Rockrawler?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod: