Author Topic: banks header worth it?  (Read 2130 times)

fobanger00

banks header worth it?
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:40:58 AM »
anyone have a banks header for there 2.5l tj? i need some feedback, ive heard some ok things and not ok things anyone have it now?

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
Re: banks header worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
anyone have a banks header for there 2.5l tj? i need some feedback, ive heard some ok things and not ok things anyone have it now?

apparently they are prone to cracking.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

mrdeath2000

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »
All the headers/exhaust manifolds have cracking issues on the 2.5 YJ & TJ as far as I have heard.  My YJ just cracked its first manifold (in my ownership ~11months), so I have a pacesetter header coming in today ( i ordered the TJ model for my YJ for the different downpipe).  However, what I hear helps is adding a section of 'stainless steel mesh flex pipe' at the end of the downpipe so that when the engine twists or whatever the hell else is making your exhaust moves, it's not as rigid.

Side note, my YJ ONLY has an o2 sensor before the cat.  I don;t know if TJ's have two o2's or not and if the mesh flexpipe would be a leak issue for a post cat sensor.  I doubt it, and havent heard of it... but just throwing it out there.

I chose the pacesetter for cost and that in Phoenix, AZ it does not see much moisture, and this is not a DD rig.  placement of your flexpipe on the banks might be different because I'm guessing it doesnt come with a downpipe.

jwalls4x4

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »
I have one on my 95yj.  It was a pain to get the bolts to the down pipe on good.  Other than that, I have no complaints.  I guess I've put 30k-ish miles on it.  Now that I've been unemployed for forever, I can think of all kinds of things I could do with the $380 plus $100 install.  :uhoh:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »
All the headers/exhaust manifolds have cracking issues on the 2.5 YJ & TJ as far as I have heard.
that's not true, most of the YJs don't have cracked stock exhaust manifold (actually you don't hear it that often and that's what i go by), there's a guy on here that had replaced his banks header 5 times under warranty. I also got a pacesetter and so far so good but i only put about 3k miles on it so i don't know long term, didn't hear any complaints regarding cracking but apparently they rust thru.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:15:35 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 06:18:28 PM »
(Knock on wood)  The original exhaust manifold on my YJ was probably 16-17 years old and never cracked.  I've had a pacesetter header on for, guess its been more than a year.  No cracks yet that I can tell.   
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

mrdeath2000

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
I stand corrected on the cracking.

4banged

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 06:27:30 AM »
Maybe it was the 2.4 cracking you were reading about. My stock one cracked on every seam and the replacement one already has a crack after less then 5k miles. And there are no aftermarket headers for the 2.4 so consider yourself lucky that you have choices ;-)

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:57 AM »
I went with a banks header when I did my new exhaust. The original header I replaced it with was fine. I went thru 2 banks headers before I went back to an OEM one and it's been fine for 3yrs. Also the Banks cat back I had was garbage. Super loud and a ton of back pressure garble when you let off the gas.

I know banks is good for trucks but so far I don't think they are good for jeeps!
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 09:57:39 AM »
the stainless tailpipe i got from banks is developing a very nice layer of rust...

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 10:27:11 AM »
I had a dynomax exhaust before i switched to an all Banks setup. Dynomax was complete garbage and sounded terrible. The Banks sounds better, but is still loud. The header now has cracked (has been on for 3 yrs) but is still under warranty. Honestly though, if you're looking for power or MPG increases look elsewhere. All exhaust systems claim power/mpg increases and I'm sure there is SOME type of power increase (it IS flowing better, right??) but you aren't gonna feel/notice it and it will never be enough to save you ANY kind of $$ at the pump during the lifetime of your jeep.
Not quite sure it's worth the $$, they do get louder over time AND they are prone to cracking.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

JohnnyO

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 11:57:57 AM »
However, what I hear helps is adding a section of 'stainless steel mesh flex pipe' at the end of the downpipe so that when the engine twists or whatever the hell else is making your exhaust moves, it's not as rigid.
I've thought of that if I got the header but I remember paying well over $200 for a replacement flex pipe for one of my cars and that was about 14 years ago.  Have the Banks cat-back now, it is louder than stock but not objectionable IMO. 

SDWE61988

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
I just had my Banks header replaced under warrenty for cracking.  I like the performance of it, however I am now a bit worried about the cracking issue again.  I also found out that the full warrenty is for 5 years and then it is "prorated" after that I had mine on for about 2.5 years before I found the cracks.