Author Topic: towing a enclosed trailer behind a YJ  (Read 1035 times)

Dynamic4x4

towing a enclosed trailer behind a YJ
« on: March 18, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »
I was thinking about building a enclosed 4ftx8ft trailer to use as a small camper similar to a toyhauler design that will fit my motorcycle in the back and have a bed to fold down when the bikes not in it the jeep does fine towing the trailer and motorcycle as it is open now but i was wondering if anybody has any experiance towing a enclosed one.  i would like to lift it up a little more and run a set of 35's sence i already have a decent set siting around but im going to have to look at how high it will make the trailer might have to go down on the tire size. 

JohnnyO

Re: towing a enclosed trailer behind a YJ
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
A 4-banger is kind of iffy on power as it is, let alone putting on 35's and towing a trailer with it.  Be needing 5.13's or at least 4.88's and tow in 4th gear (assuming you have a stick).
If you're going to be on the highway much at all, I would say build the trailer with the front angling to a point for less wind resistance.

Dynamic4x4

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
i was thinking haveing it slope down as much as possible i have to go and take measurements of the bike itself to get the finaly design to i know just how much i can slope it.  I already have 4.88's in it now.  would the tire height on the trailer realy effect the pulling resistance much ive never realy thought about that aspect i was thinking more alone the lines of trying to keep it behind the jeep as much as possible for slightly better aerodynamics of it

Offline BoringDave

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
i was thinking haveing it slope down as much as possible i have to go and take measurements of the bike itself to get the finaly design to i know just how much i can slope it.  I already have 4.88's in it now.  would the tire height on the trailer realy effect the pulling resistance much ive never realy thought about that aspect i was thinking more alone the lines of trying to keep it behind the jeep as much as possible for slightly better aerodynamics of it

The last time I moved I towed one of them small U-haul trailers full to the top. It wasn't to bad not fast but ok, had to use 3rd a lot. At the time mine had 31's and 4:10's with a 5sp.

Offline Tr00b

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
I tow up to 2000 lbs with my TJ on 31's with 4.10's. Does it pull it? Oh yeah. Does it stop it? NOT a chance.

I would definitely invest some  money in a trailer with good brakes or installing them if you don't have them, and making sure your TJ's  braking system is up to snuff as well. I know when I hit the brakes with a loaded trailer, its like having the ABS kick on too early. I have to downshift and dump the clutch as well to keep from blowing stoplights if they sneak up on me.

I would say as you increase tire size, you will exponentially decrease what you can tow, as the tires create a larger rotating mass to stop.

Dynamic4x4

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
i was thinking of trailer brakes but i have to find a good setup that is within a resionable price range.  I already have 35's on the jeep and it does take alot more to stop as is with the trailer but mostly when i have the motorcycle in it i would be useing my piolet to tow it with i was mainly wanting to have a better setup for a expidition type thing that wouldnt make the trailer completely useless for hauling small things and my motorcycle all together it should still be around 1000lbs though the trailer is very lightweight as it is now and dont see building a box ontop of it adding a huge amount of weight and the motorcycle dry weight is only 350lbs so i assume with all fluids it is somewhere in the 400-450 range tops im deffinatly going to look into trailer brakes more though to give some extra security for sudden stops.  I would be happy to even have abs lol