Author Topic: What did you do with your Jeep today?  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
What did you do with your Jeep today?
« on: June 16, 2014, 08:40:25 PM »
Here's what I did with the Jeep today.  Went to get the registration and emissions check done.  It's always a PITA getting the emissions done.  There's no regulation on cost so the tester can pretty much make up their own price.  You always feel shafy talking to them.  If you don't don't the special handshake you'll get screwed.  If you get the 'in' price they usually ask you not to share it with any walk-ins.

So anyway the place I usually go to closed their local shop.  I later found out they moved with no forwarding address on Yelp or their phone.  I had to find another place that wasn't going to screw me too bad.  Found another shop that had good reviews but was more expensive then the other place.  $30 for an EVAP test?  Really?  He cut me some slack and charged me $20 but still.  All they do is pressurize your gas tank with NO and check for leaks.  My tank was practically full so they didn't need to use that much gas anyway.  My usual place gets me out the door around $49.  I got out at $68.  I don't blame the shop though, they did a good job.  I just wish the state would regulate how much a shop can charge, again.

The Jeep passed easily though.

Oh then I spent an hour waiting to pay my registration.  Seems the other town's DMV's closed so they're all coming to this one.  It was pretty packed.

So, I pretty much wasted my day today.  :confused:

Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline grumpygy

Re: What did you do with your Jeep today?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
Not doing much with the Jeep.  Finally got a job and am out of school.   So picked up a car cause its about 30 miles on way to work.

Got this guy  for $21,000 Diesel   Getting about 40 Mpg as long as I stay to freeways.  Little over 500 miles on it and still just a little under half a tank left to go.   Think it will end up with 700 miles on the 1st tank.

Not mine but looks just like it.

94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:45:26 AM »
Just drove to work.   Had a code 22 recently and it turned out to be a loose connector.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline chardrc

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 06:32:09 PM »
have not touched my jeep since the middle of may. But i did finished rebuilding the body mounts and floors of the cj2a project ive been working on (just need to build transmission tunnel.... stretched the wheelbase a few inches and moved back the rear fenders for more leg room. not professional quality or pretty but should hold up. will go back and prep and paint body if the shake down run goes good in a few weeks.

1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »
Well, I did strip the temp sending unit on the rear of the block, if that counts.  Had to order to stripped bolt removers online to get it out, but they have not yet arrived.  once they do, it should be easy to swap the sensor in.  Tried starting the jeep and also got a code, but was late for work, so I simply changed cars.  I guess I left something unplugged yesterday when I was fiddling with the sending unit!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »
have not touched my jeep since the middle of may. But i did finished rebuilding the body mounts and floors of the cj2a project ive been working on (just need to build transmission tunnel.... stretched the wheelbase a few inches and moved back the rear fenders for more leg room. not professional quality or pretty but should hold up. will go back and prep and paint body if the shake down run goes good in a few weeks.

Great project!  Keep us posted.
'95 YJ, 33 x 12.5 BFG MTs, RE 4.5 ED lift, Atlas 4 speed, rear D44, ARBs front and rear, 4.56 gears, 8000# winch

Offline chardrc

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 07:59:53 PM »
got the jeep running on Sunday afternoon after figuring out some electrical issues. still need to finish the transmission tunnel, bleed the rest of the air out of the clutch pedal and get the fenders on along with about 50 other tedious things but it ran and drove. confirmed our feer that the rear and front axles had different gear ratios so we are forced (for better or worse) to order 5.13 gears and lockers  :driving: :rtfm:

video proof https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB6TL1RU8gE

has a long ways to go but a big emprovment from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM00IRYphbE

also found that squeeling from my d44 is from the wiper seal going bad and not moving with the drive shaft correctly...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:03:18 PM by chardrc »
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Hunter02

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
Since all the rain this evening was in the next county, I took off the doors, put down the top and took my grandsons out along the canal banks to spot 'gator. A couple of good eating size but nothing you'd want to waste a tag  on. Guys got a kick out of being able to look right down on them. Also saw several River Otters. A few of them were close to 4 feet long. (Remeind me not to go swimming any more.)
Sorry a few of you have hiccups with your rides. Right now mine's running like a top.
Hunter

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:11:42 AM »
Well, my 2m radio was acting odd, so I had to look into it.  It had REALLY bad reception, and when I was transmitting, my handheld was opening the repeater, but the mobile unit was not.  Apparently, the wireless function of the antenna was not working properly, so I had to reconnect it for the radio to work right...   :wall:

I also tried replacing the oil pressure sending unit, but no luck on that...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 01:25:18 PM »
Well, my 2m radio was acting odd, so I had to look into it.  It had REALLY bad reception, and when I was transmitting, my handheld was opening the repeater, but the mobile unit was not.  Apparently, the wireless function of the antenna was not working properly, so I had to reconnect it for the radio to work right...   :wall:

I also tried replacing the oil pressure sending unit, but no luck on that...
Hopefully you didn't do damage to the TX circuit.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:14:09 PM »
Hopefully you didn't do damage to the TX circuit.

I have checked, and so far, it is transmitting and receiving fine (hopefully, this will hold up).  But luckily, I did not transmit much at all, so it should be OK.

Now, back to the original subject, I FINALLY changed the Oil Pressure Sending Unit!  Now only the emergency brakes left to fix, and, for the first time since I have had the Jeep, I think, everything will be working as it should!  Wooohooo!!!

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 11:19:56 PM »
I changed the oil (first time in to many years to remember)  :puzzled: greased everything that had a zerk fitting. Put on a new Bestop safari bikini. Old one had a hole.
Getting ready for the Dusy  :doggy:
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline chardrc

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
Got "Proto-jeep" registered and on the trails for the first time since 1988. only on the trails for about 3 hours before deciding to pack it up and head home with our list of improvements. Would have stayed longer but the FPR died and was starving the engine on hill climbs and our steer cylinder was more vulnerable than we anticipated... suspension worked better than expected for running worn out jk shocks. New shocks and a few tweeks and it will be ready for its first full trail weekend in 3 weeks :driving:.

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline neale_rs

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 02:40:09 PM »
Very cool looking project!

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 02:59:41 PM »
Took the jeep to my buddy and he welded up my rear shock mount. Tore it off at Rausch Creek.
Plans for the rest of the week are basically for Saturday. Changing out diff fluids and seeing about replacing the seals on my rear locker. Maybe change out the front hubs. That should be it and she should be ready to wheel Sunday.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it