Author Topic: Power Steering Pump  (Read 712 times)

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Power Steering Pump
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:53:54 AM »
Well...I thought I just somehow got air in there somehow, but it looks as though the pump is bad as after filling it up and driving 20 feet (and then opening the hood to see fluid spewing out of the reservoir) it looks as though the pump is where the leak is...of course, right onto the serpentine belt.

Looks like a pretty inexpensive and straightforward job to replace....any tips or things to look out for?  While I'm at it, will most likely replace the belt, the pully wheel since it is a little chopped up and the lines to the reservoir.

Still have to drive home 40 miles tonight and don't think I will have any issues other than losing a quart of fluid on the way and right when I get home... :brick:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Re: Power Steering Pump
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:44:18 AM »
Well... that was pretty damn easy.... always freak out when I'm doing something that I have never tried before.  And then amazed afterwards that people pay a ton of money to have a mechanic do it.  Was able to take my son to a tennis match in the morning, get all of the parts and change everything out by lunch... easy breezy.

Got everything at NAPA yesterday morning... they had the "buy a bucket for $2.99 and then everything you can foot in the bucket is 20% off" deal going on... saved more than $50.

I know I should have changed all of the hoses, but they were in good shape and I couldn't loosen the high pressure line where it connects into the steering box.  Just means more money back when I return them to NAPA today.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 03:36:52 PM »
Luckily it's on the front of the engine and easy to get to.  The hose goes though heat cycles so it's stuck on there good.  Might have to use a flare nut wrench.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
What kind of steering box are you running?
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:23:48 PM »
What kind of steering box are you running?

Went from stock to remanufactured NAPA stock version.... :whistle:

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »
Went from stock to remanufactured NAPA stock version.... :whistle:
My 33s blew my stock steering box up, can't imagine the hurting your 37s are putting on it. Has got to be miserable on the trail. Thats why i went to a durango box. Cheap upgrade and allows me to steer with one finger, on and off the trail.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 10:01:41 PM »
My 33s blew my stock steering box up, can't imagine the hurting your 37s are putting on it. Has got to be miserable on the trail. Thats why i went to a durango box. Cheap upgrade and allows me to steer with one finger, on and off the trail.

Box was upgraded when I did most of the major work years ago....AGR SuperBox.

It was the stock pump that went... developed a leak right where the pull connects and air was getting in the system.