Author Topic: i put GL5 in my AX-15....  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Bigboi

i put GL5 in my AX-15....
« on: October 09, 2014, 05:44:29 AM »
so i made the mistake of just thinking "hey a bottle of gear oil, ill just use some of this and  :thumb:"

Well i began researching that i am NOT to use GLW5 Gear oil, but rather 10 30 Synthetic.... But wouldnt i need to flush out the current GL5, and how would i do that, i feel a big difference in the transmission and thats why i researched the fluid, now i realized the gear oil i used is  corrosive to the synchro's

i may get the synchromesh due to the fact the GL5 is supposed to be Corrosive to the yellow metals inside the tranny..............
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 05:47:23 AM by Bigboi »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: i put GL5 in my AX-15....
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:42:54 PM »
Check the bottle to see if it has MT-1.

Then read this: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php/topic,422.html
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Bigboi

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:57 PM »
my AX-15 will need new synchro's, a new set is $50 or so, not including the seals

Offline Bigboi

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:27:07 PM »
after reviewing some of the rebuilding process.... i think ill just buy another AX-15 and fix my original

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
It takes several specialty tools to tear a AX series trans down.. Not worth the investment.
Carry in its about 400 to have a small privateer shop do it which is about what the tools cost.
If your really skilled you can improvise, that cost me a extra 150 for a broken gear..  :'(
If you cant find a shop that specifically does Jeep units, find one that knows 85 and up
toyotas, they use a variant of the same tranny.

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:47:02 PM »
So let me get this straight, you're wanting to replace all the syncros/ rebuilt the transmission because you read an old thread about GL-5 being corrosive?

These days GL-5 is more then likely going to be MT-1 certified.  This means it's okay for yellow metals.  Bronze, copper, etc...  There is no issue when using GL-5 with MT-1.  This is why I said, check the bottle.

Even if you poured GL-5 that wasn't MT-1, into the transmission and didn't run it then you could easily just drain it and flush it once then refill.  Again not a big deal.   :confused:
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »
Oh yea,, +1 on Jeffy.. It does not instantly ruin them it take many hot miles of driving and shifting..
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Bigboi

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »
So let me get this straight, you're wanting to replace all the syncros/ rebuilt the transmission because you read an old thread about GL-5 being corrosive?

These days GL-5 is more then likely going to be MT-1 certified.  This means it's okay for yellow metals.  Bronze, copper, etc...  There is no issue when using GL-5 with MT-1.  This is why I said, check the bottle.

Even if you poured GL-5 that wasn't MT-1, into the transmission and didn't run it then you could easily just drain it and flush it once then refill.  Again not a big deal.   :confused:

looking back, i put Walmart brand GL-5 in it when i first put it back in the truck, so itd been running GL-5 for a year, and when i drained the transmission, a Great deal of yellow metal was in the fluid, some very small chips here and there from the synchronizers, had i just poured it in i woulda just drained it and been good to go, but since i see so much synchro metal in the fluid, i bought another one, and im gonna  rebuild the old one

It takes several specialty tools to tear a AX series trans down.. Not worth the investment.
Carry in its about 400 to have a small privateer shop do it which is about what the tools cost.
If your really skilled you can improvise, that cost me a extra 150 for a broken gear..  :'(
If you cant find a shop that specifically does Jeep units, find one that knows 85 and up
toyotas, they use a variant of the same tranny.

I doubt id need special tools, just some thinking, trial and error, ive ripped apart a 1985 civic 5 speed transmission, and it was a piece of cake, i could take it apart, jumble the parts into a pile, then pick out the parts one by one, Two things to keep in mind when doing a project like this, is DO NOT LET it Intimidate you,  keeping notes of All steps until you are able to just throw it into a pile of parts and assemble it in minutes and having the FSM pages on paper helps, theres Sections inside the transmission, so dont look at it as a whole, look at each part as its own piece, and take one on at a time, im sure id figure it out
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 09:34:28 AM by Bigboi »

Offline Bigboi

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 07:24:23 AM »
Picked up another AX-15 With about 100k miles, shifts ALOT smoother, Of course, i did discover the Master Cylinder was the culprit behind not letting me get into gear, BUT either way id rather have swapped out due to the gear oil, upon how much yellow metal i seen in the fluid, i wouldnt have reused my original