Author Topic: Banks Header  (Read 512 times)

Offline cwildmann

Banks Header
« on: April 11, 2016, 12:59:05 PM »
I know the Banks Headers has been covered quite a few times but I couldn't find the answer I needed when searching.  So here is my story:

1997 TJ 2.5l
Installed a Pacesetter header couple years ago and butchered together a custom downpipe and catback to get the jeep road worthy.  Downpipe hangs below the oil pan and so I collected parts to revert back to the OEM style downpipe.
Yesterday installed a Banks header and went to install an OEM style downpipe (Walker 52319) but it doesn't mate up to the output of the Banks header.  The Walker downpipe flared input is smaller than the Banks output.

For those running the Banks header - what downpipe did you use?  Did everyone's OEM downpipe fit the Banks header?  On what year TJ?

Does anyone know why the Walker 52319 OEM replacement doesn't fit?

If the Walker 52319 doesn't fit, I am worried about trusting the OEM will fit and don't want to spend more cash until I can get a definite yes it will fit.  I can find a used replacement semi-locally but again don't want to drive 2 hours to pick it up unless I can confirm it will work.

As always, your help is greatly apprecriated!

Chris

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Banks Header
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
I was always under the impressions that you have to get one made.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline cwildmann

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »
I measured the output of the banks header the other day and the pipe has a diameter of 2.25"and the gasket goes out to 2.75". Anyone  else have the banks header to check these numbers against their's? And what down pipe did you use?

Thanks

Offline VA_YJ

• Now I need a CJ...
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:36 PM »
I'm running the Banks header on my YJ and it mates to the OEM head pipe with no problem.  Can't comment on your TJ but I have a couple of suggestions:

1) Contact Banks - make sure you have the correct header pipe for your application and ask for advice.

2) Contact a company like HW Hardware or Quadratec that sells the Banks header and ask their tech support for advice.

Good luck!
95 YJ, 31 BFG ATs, 4.0 TB & spacer, Banks header, DynoMax CAT back, 19# inj, AEM CAI, 20 gal mod, Optima yellow
98 TJ, 35 BFG Krawlers, 4.0 liter, ax15, atlas 5:1, armor, Super 88 (under construction)
96 XJ Cheep Cherokee, 33s, 4.0 liter, AW4, future project
89 Waggy, 360 V8 727 dana 44s, it runs

Offline cwildmann

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:14 AM »
Thanks for your help guys.

After measuring a handful of downpipes from various years of the TJ 2.5l, I've come to the conclusion that no factory downpipe will fit my Banks header as the output is 2.25".  So at this point I am going to weld together a downpipe from builders parts to get my Jeep rolling again.

I never contacted Banks as I got the header off of Craigslist for $50 but wanted to let you know how I ended up and to thank you guys for helping me out.  I don't know if I got a fluke or how mine has 2.25" output but it I got for dirt cheap and will rock it for as long as I can.

Thanks again,
Chris

Offline mcrum

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 08:36:11 PM »
i got my down pipe from NAPA and had an exhaust shop modify (flare) the end to match the Banks header.  it works pretty good.  i had to re-torque the bolts a few times but it seems to be holding now and i have about 10k miles on it.