Author Topic: 2.7-3.0 Stroker?  (Read 1598 times)

Offline JC93YJ

Re: 2.7-3.0 Stroker?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2016, 01:52:16 PM »
Based on what I've read, the L61 (pre 2006) 2.2L is also pretty good. I know the Saturn Sky bellhousing allows the AX15 to bolt up, and then use a 9 inch clutch from an 84 5 speed four cylinder Camaro to make all that work, I just need to make block side mounts because in theory, the frame mounts should work, if my eyeball quick head calculations are somewhat right, which I can get my dad to weld up for me, and use a standalone harness and tuned ECM to get it running in the Jeep and then use the Jeep computer to run the speedometer and other gauges and then either get a tach emulator or something to measure RPM, or do what the LS guys do (still foggy on that, kind of flying by the seat of my pants right now).  Plumbing and cooling shouldn't be an issue.  The power steering pump is run off the back of the head on the intake cam, so I'll either go with manual steering (not really an issue since I'll only be running 31s at most), or try and find a rumored power steering pump that mounts where the a/c compressor goes and have lines made up.  There are turbo kits out there, so I'll either get an aftermarket kit or an OEM kit if I can find one, or just run NA to start with and then save my pennies to step up to a turbo and a tune, which shouldn't be an issue because it's GM EFI and all the Camaro's around here have a chip or a tune.  The main thing that worries me is the wiring, but I think I'm either going to wire up the standalone to run the bare essentials and try and make the Jeep gauges work with the stock computer, or look into LS swap wiring and see how they merge the two harnesses.  I think they run both computers, or am I wrong?  That would be my plan of attack, as these motors are really really cheap.  I found a supercharger version that was in a Cobalt for $500 that was the longblock and manifolds, and then a L61 with everything minus accessories but included the harness for $350.  Haven't called the junkyards yet, but I've seen a ton of Saturns and Chevy sedans, so I think this would be a viable option.

Joe
93 Jeep YJ- 50 Shades of Black.
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
For 170hp/160ft-tq, it isn't worth it.  That's a lot of work to just be marginally better then the 2.5L and you'll be hurting on low end torque where most of your driving will be.  Peak torque is 6300 RPM.  

An LTG will have close to 300 ft-lbs at 3000 RPM and that's pretty much flat till 5000RPM.  Not to mention 272 hp at 5500RPM.

You'd be better off going with a plain jane LO5 with 195hp without even trying and torque up the wazoo at low RPM.  If you want to spend more but keep it cheap an LS 3.8L will make 270 hp stock.  There's a lot more aftermarket for the SBC and LS's then anything else out there and it's relatively inexpensive.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 06:01:28 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline JC93YJ

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 05:03:59 PM »
Yeah, good point. I'm going to keep looking around. I haven't quite decided on what I want to do 100% yet, kind of a "whatever I can get a halfway decent deal on that is withing my realm of possibility". I did find someone that can weld pretty well, so bigger fabrication isn't too big of a problem anymore.

Joe
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 04:45:26 PM »
After years of dinking around with my 2.5 I'm done with Chrysler ECU driven engines.. Even with all the trick parts the freeking ECU wont let the power out.. Piggybacks just don't work you get power or mileage but cant have both. I borrowed a stand alone Motec and it worked awesome but still I was stuck at about 160 HP if I wanted it to get by the smog station.

The cost of engines has   dropped huge from what I can tell out of wrecked rigs, a low mileage LQ4 with transmission and a novac adapter kit is < 3K Heck I can buy a LQ9 with a 6L80E for < 2500 bucks. .

Shops don't want anything to do with engine swaps any more.. Heck I had a Honda blow a head gasket and cant find a shop to just r&r the original with a complete motor from a wreck for under 3000 bucks! Novac has a lot of good info about the motor swaps and from watching two friends do it, the weld in standard mounts are the way to go. The cross member style just creates other problems.

Good luck !
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 08:24:23 PM »
After years of dinking around with my 2.5 I'm done with Chrysler ECU driven engines.. Even with all the trick parts the freeking ECU wont let the power out.. Piggybacks just don't work you get power or mileage but cant have both. I borrowed a stand alone Motec and it worked awesome but still I was stuck at about 160 HP if I wanted it to get by the smog station.

The cost of engines has   dropped huge from what I can tell out of wrecked rigs, a low mileage LQ4 with transmission and a novac adapter kit is < 3K Heck I can buy a LQ9 with a 6L80E for < 2500 bucks. .

Shops don't want anything to do with engine swaps any more.. Heck I had a Honda blow a head gasket and cant find a shop to just r&r the original with a complete motor from a wreck for under 3000 bucks! Novac has a lot of good info about the motor swaps and from watching two friends do it, the weld in standard mounts are the way to go. The cross member style just creates other problems.

Good luck !

That kinda goes for any Pre or ODBI computer controlled engine.  As much as it pains me to say, swapping engines is a while lot easier then modifying.  The 2.5L base HP with MPFI is 125 hp and 139 ft-lbs.  A crate stock L05 makes  around 210 hp and 300 lbs-ft.  Tough to get those numbers from a 2.5L without a power adder and a lot of shop time.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 05:39:47 PM »
Yep. and based on the amount of work to swap, I'm going big.
I figure a VVT/VVD LQ9 is going to net me about 25 MPG on the highway..
and north of 375HP.. Owned the jeep since new, had it longer than my college
age daughter  :biggrin: Going to have my ashes dumped in the front seat
and have it crushed to coffin size.... 

94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
If I had the money, I'd probably do a 345 Hemi crate engine swap.  Or maybe if Cummins would get off their stool and starts making 2.8L kits....

I've owned my Jeep since new as well.  Actually, it was my "first car."

Why not do it like in the movie 'Used Cars'.  Dig a pit and roll the car in...

Offline JC93YJ

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 07:27:53 PM »
I've decided to go in a completely different direction.  I've been planning this project for quite a while and had it on the back burner the entire time I was exploring different options.  I've pulled the trigger on a motor already, and I'm beginning to gather parts.  Here's a sneak peak at it.  A build thread will follow shortly.  Thanks for all the input.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ6W3fbGfik

Joe
Stock 2.5....for now

Offline Hunter02

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »
I know the O/P already decided to go a certain way, but this is for 'the restofus'; a buddy wanted to warm-up his 2.5L and went the 'PintoBeans' way. Older guys will know what I'm talking about (guugle ESSLINGER Hydraulics). He shaved the heads, put in a TB spacer, and Chevy rocker arms with a longer ratio. (Sorry I forget the motor they came out of.) If you've got extra bucks, Yella-Terra in OZ has a $500+ kit with rollers. He put on a Banks header and took it off because you loose lowend torque and 'drivability'. Stock exhaust will work fine because it's made to flow 4.0L. Headers on 4-bangers and you have to live above the 3500rpm mark.
I know the O/P has a YJ, but anyone wanting to put a 4.0 or 4.3 stroker in a TJ better watch. They were nice enough to give us wussy axles in the TJ 2.5L.
Back to my buddy; dyno'd 220hp. That's at the wheels. Versus 85-115 at the crank.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 12:04:01 PM »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
http://www.shop.505performance.com/category.sc?categoryId=40

They evidently do it..  :thumbsup: Just cubic $$
For the money, you'd be better off doing a TBI 350 swap or a stroker 383 while you're at it.  The swap would be more dependable and make more power.  You wouldn't have to run Premium either.

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »
Oh definatley,, Average price for a 6.0 LQ4/LQ9 is < 3500 now unless its a really low miler...

Heck I  can get a newer (2015) gen 4 4.3 v6 with trans and tcase for < 3500. Gives you 300+ HP and it works with the tuning packs for the LS series.

Hava e local guy that will build the harness for like 300 bucks, then convert to electrical analog gages and I'm done!
Have welder and such for the mounts so that parts just work..