Author Topic: Headlight issues  (Read 612 times)

Offline bootguy

• TANSTAAFL There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
Headlight issues
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
  I have searched for topics on this.  Here is my issue, first off 1994 YJ with the 2.5 and a 30RH transmission. When I turn the headlights on they work for about 8 to 10 minutes then shut off.  High beams, low beams does not matter, BUT if I hold the high beams switch the lights come on as long as the switch is held back.  All other lights work, if I turn the lights off for 4 to 5 minutes the process starts all over again.
  I have replaced the light switch along with the dimmer switch and it has not cured the problem.  I do not think the switch would have anything in it that would shut off due to heat issues and do not see where 2 switches would have the same issues.
  So I throw the question out to all of you.
1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, automatic, 2.5" lift, 4:88 gearing, 33" tires, 2.5" exhaust from manifold back, air restrictor removed.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Headlight issues
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »
Have you tried reseating the harness on the steering column.  I can't remember if there's a relay down there or what, I just remember some funky things happening with that connection.  I lost Flash-to-pass then I lost low beams but had high-beams...  Fixed it when I reseated the connector.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline 95 Lowbuck

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:30:01 PM »
I would also check all the grounds for that circuit, and the relay if one in the fuse box.
1995 YJ RioGrand, 2.5, AX5, 231 T.C., A.A. SYE,
D30, XJ D44, Truetracs F+R, CV D.S. F+R, 4.88's
R.E. 4" STD., 33-10.50 BFG KO2's on stock rims.

Offline bootguy

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
Went to the dealer and spoke with the service department and they pulled up drawings and electrical plans and printed everything out for me.  Then they called in their lead mechanic and he said it was my dimmer switch at the bottom of the steering column.  The part is discontinued by Jeep but is available at NAPA. So I have ordered a new one and will plug and play, hopefully this will fix my issue.
1994 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L, automatic, 2.5" lift, 4:88 gearing, 33" tires, 2.5" exhaust from manifold back, air restrictor removed.

Offline bootguy

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »
I just started replacing components, a new headlight switch, the switch/relay at the bottom of the column, then did the simple one fuses.  Probably should have started there, even though it makes no sense.  Replacing the fuse seems to have fixed the issue, but a fuse should blow and not ever reset.  HMMMM

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:24:44 PM »
i had both headlights burned once and couldn't figure out why they weren't working at all (and I mean both low/high beams on both headlights were out) - looked at fuses relays including the daylight running module, turned out I needed new headlights - so don't feel bad, usually turns out to be the last place you search for a fault  ::)
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:11 PM »
If you ever need diagrams, let me know.  I have the 94 FSM (its for the YJ and Cherokee).  Little late now, but next time...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline bootguy

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 11:58:34 PM »
Replaced the headlight switch again and now zero issues.  Just a bad switch.