Author Topic: Issues Running Hot Ignition  (Read 480 times)

Offline jrager

Issues Running Hot Ignition
« on: November 28, 2018, 05:21:50 PM »
So I installed a Accel 40KV Ignition on my 2.5 93YJ and after having issues I installed a Performance Distributors kit as well.

The issue I am having is it will start initially then begins to run rough and dies. Then will not restart for a few minutes then I can try but it immediately runs rough and dies.

I have tried just about everything I can think of. Wondering if anyone else has had issues running a hot Ignition and if they solved it.

I am getting lots of fuel and air.

Other mods
Mustang Type III injectors
intake bored to 62mm
62mm bored 4.0 TB
spark plugs gapped to .60
Performance Headers
Cold Air

I am thinking maybe a bad ECU

If I  could get this thing to burn all the fuel and air........

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Re: Issues Running Hot Ignition
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
Seems like a strange issue.  Never had anything like that with mine and I've probably been running the PD kit the longest.  So long in fact that I replaced my original R&D demo kit with a retail one that I paid for myself.

Have you tried to recover any CEL codes?  If it wasn't so damn expensive, I'd consider switching over to a Holley EFI and run everything off their computer.  Kinda pricey at $1200 though.

Oh, what spark plugs are you using?  PD recommends .065" gap.  I ran some Platinums that PD wanted me to run and had no issues.  I have switched over to Copper plugs though.  No noticable difference.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jrager

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:08:40 PM »
Running the  champions and tried several others. I have a Code reader its not throwing any codes. I think it may be stuck in open, WOT though. I may hook up live monitoring to see the O2 sensor values.  I know I missing performance here as I am dumping the fuel /air and running generally rich.

It should work so some thing is ary.....

Offline dwtaylorpdx

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 01:53:32 AM »
Not sure about the 93,, but my stock ignition on my 94 runs about 45KV on the secondary..
The stock YJ ignition is good to about 14:1 compression.. And well, I cant count the number
of Accell products I've stripped off of race cars and thrown away. Half their stuff is rebranded ,,,
Remember the accell Super Coils, Big yellow can? If you broke one open there was a Stock Ford coil
in them at one time..

My 2.5 is B&B'd and redlines at 6500.  Hesco/Clay smith cam, lifters, springs.
Coated pistons, 4.0 TB (Stock not bored). My jeep likes the stock ish plug gap,
I run it a little wide for low speed and narrow down by 5 for high RPM's YMMV!

The symptom your describing is suspiciously like the
dreaded capacitor failure in the older Jeep ECU's

FWIW, the OBD1 computers don't tell much out the diag port and the codes are crap,
the fuel curve isn't a curve,, put a wide band in the tail pipe and you'll see a fuel staircase,
its like it only has 4 injector duration settings, so its always lean or rich and only right
at about 4 or 5 points between idle and 5000 rpm. Rich as a pig at WOT and high rpm..
The Jeep ECU doesn't really have a table, its an analog computer for fuel that adjusts
the fuel on a formula off the sensors. That's why nobody tunes the stock ones, the ECU has no
real NVRAM the software its all hard wired for the most part. I've been considering a Micro
squirt so I can give the motor more timing and that would allow my cam to get adjusted to a better peak.

Good luck and let us know how it works out,, always like to learn from other folks adventures..

Cheers
94 YJ - 2.5 Hesco Cam B&B Ported - AX5 Trans w/Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch - 4" Rough Country Lift W/Skyjacker Shocks - D44 Rear/ARB - D30/ARB - ARB Compressor - Warn M8000 in Custom Bumper - Reunell Rear Bumper - Metalcloak 6" Body Armor Kit - Tuffy Console - 265x85-16 Tires - 2M Radio