Author Topic: Custom digital gauges with OLED and Arduino  (Read 624 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Custom digital gauges with OLED and Arduino
« on: July 18, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »
Hi, guys.

I know it's been a while since I last posted here...  To be honest, I have not done any wheeling in the last 2 years (3 years?), but the Jeep is still with me.  Just recently got the Jeep dusted off and cleaned.  I also fixed a long list of stuff that needed fixing (still got a couple of items to check off the list!), did some regular maintenance (oil changes and such), and upgraded a couple of things (like the winch line, which is now synthetic, and the Hawse fairlead). 

I just started getting into Arduino with my son, and I am AMAZED at all the things you can do with it.  I also like that things are fairly cheap with Arduino!

As I got into the Jeep today to reconnect my ARB compressor and lockers, I looked at the Jeep, and, honestly, the thing that makes the Jeep look the most dated is the gauge cluster.  This got me thinking; what if I do a personalized cluster with Arduino and OLED screens?  I figured someone must have done something like this, but I could not find anything online.  Have you guys heard of anyone doing anything like this?
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline jfrabat

Re: Custom digital gauges with OLED and Arduino
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
I have been poking around the FSM, and I see no reason not to do this; idea is to leave the speedo and tacho as they are, but take the signal from the instrument cluster and feed it to an Arduino.  Then take out the telltales, and replace that with an LCD screen.  This means speedo and tacho will work normally, but I will also have an LCD screen in the middle displaying icons for the regular telltales stuff (turn signals, seatbelts, e-brake, hi-beams, check engine, illumination) as well as some additions (compressor, lockers, fan setting, aux lights - all 3) and a digital tacho and speedo.  I can even set up different screens...  and even start everything up with a JEEP logo when ignition is started. 

This is more or less what I have in mind:

If that works, I also intend to use an LCD (or OLED) for the 4WD indicator (which I have not used in at least 10 years, as I have a solid axle) and use it for something else (I could do anything really, but the first thing that comes to mind is a Voltmeter that actually works!  The analog one SUCKS!  Oh, and a clock!).  The idea for that will be to design it in a way that it uses the round design, so as to fit in with the rest of the Jeep.  I am going to start testing and will keep you guys updated if this works or not.  I need to figure out how to waterproof everything (apart from conformal silicone), but given the prices of these components, even if I end up damaging them, they are simple to replace.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
You might just consider doing a flat dash and redo all the gauges.

https://www.doubledfab.com/yj

I like the one that retains the stock dash pad so you don't lose the stock defroster.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
You might just consider doing a flat dash and redo all the gauges.

https://www.doubledfab.com/yj

I like the one that retains the stock dash pad so you don't lose the stock defroster.

Too expensive for a toy that spends 98% of its time parked in the garage...  Besides, I would rather invest in a new soft top instead.  This project is 2 fold; it spices up the Jeep, but it also keeps me entertained while I program this thing!  There's a guy who went all out and did an awesome Miata dash with an arduino, but I do not plan to go that far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qhVrqG61mg

(BTW, I forgot how to embed youtube videos!)

Offline IRQ