Author Topic: Temperature Gauge  (Read 692 times)

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
Temperature Gauge
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:01:09 PM »
I replaced the T-stat with and the temp sending unit. But the gauge still reads just barely above 100. I used a heat gun and the top of the radiator reads between 190-195 which is where it should be with a 195 t-stat.
So Im guessing the gauge is bad.
I don't want to tear the dash out to replace it with a factory one.
I was thinking of adding a gauge to my dash bar.
Any recommendations on what brand? I really like the Stewart Warner Heavy Duty look. It shows just one wire going to the sending unit. It recommends not removing the factory sending unit. The factory unit has 2 wires? How do you tell which one to piggy back into?
Is one a ground and one power?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline FourbangerYJ

Re: Temperature Gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
I swapped out the temperature sending unit and now the gauge moves, but it's reading about 215 with a 195 T-stat.

It's a Autozone brand sending unit.
Maybe I'll see if the dealer has one?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »
Hmm, I haven't had to change mine.  With the electric fan mine hovers just below 210.  Might try a different brand.  I'm sure they're all made pretty cheaply and aren't very accurate.  Maybe Autometer or Bosch has one?  I'm sure the mopar one is a third party as well.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline 95 Lowbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
I’ve found a big difference between the average auto store sending unit,
and a factory one.
The average one I bought was too long and actually got crushed by installing it.
Like Jeffy said, the Mopar ones are probably 3rd party, but it is at least made to their spec.
1995 YJ RioGrand, 2.5, AX5, 231 T.C., A.A. SYE,
D30, XJ D44, Truetracs F+R, CV D.S. F+R, 4.88's
R.E. 4" STD., 33-10.50 BFG KO2's on stock rims.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:03:23 PM »
I’ve found a big difference between the average auto store sending unit,
and a factory one.
The average one I bought was too long and actually got crushed by installing it.
Like Jeffy said, the Mopar ones are probably 3rd party, but it is at least made to their spec.

This is the second one I bought from Autozone. When I pulled the one out to replace, I noticed that it was really dented as if something happened to it. It did not look like the brand new one. Maybe it's to long??
I'll get one a Mopar one and see what's up.
Scott~

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 01:16:07 PM »
The Mopar one fixed the issue. Now the gauge reads correctly.
The only difference I could see is the Mopar one has thread sealer on the threads. So it gets tight faster, so I didn't have to run the sensor all the way in. It sticks up about a 1/4 inch more.
Scott~