Author Topic: Custom Steering  (Read 679 times)

SMC4WD

Custom Steering
« on: May 07, 2006, 04:42:11 PM »
I went outside to take pics of my exhaust and decided to post this too.

I had alot of help with this one, and it's many years old, but I still wanted to show it off.

I picked up some DOM steel.  If I remember correctly, it was 1.25" x 3/8" wall tube.  

We cut two pieces to lengths and tapped the tubes for GM tie rod ends.  Tapped one RH and the other LH.  

After tapping them we took a tie rod end and connected it to the drag link.

Then drilled out the steering knuckles along the top, with a taped drill bit.  This allowed us to drop the tie rods right in.  With the hub conversion...  Wheel offset wasn't an issue at all.  Without it, I don't think the ties rods would fit.

It all came together pretty well, and with a bit of customization, a steering stabilizer made it's way on too.  By the way, that's the only thing Rancho on my Jeep.  I have an OME in my storage too..  Just lazy I guess.

Because it sits so high, I had to go back to a stock steering arm.  And the angles are so nice, I have no 'bump steer' what-so-ever.

I can't believe how dirty and greasy it looks under there...  Almost an embarrassment.  I have those Nascar style axle tube seals...  They're supposed to be red anodized.  I also have OX u-joints, but you'd never notice it with it looking the way it does.