Author Topic: Electrical fan successful how-to for different CJs/YJs/TJs  (Read 2234 times)

chrisfranklin

Electrical fan successful how-to for different CJs/YJs/TJs
« on: March 16, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »
I'd be up for doing an electric fan install on my YJ4.  Could definitely use a very detailed, pictorial how-to on that.

jackhammer

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 02:59:37 PM »
It is coming in my near future as well...all info apreciated....going to junkyard this week. I understand I need to look for taurus any other specifics I need to know?

yellowta

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 06:02:27 PM »
Nice write up but I do not recommend using 30a relays.  Initial startup on those fans pull around 130 amps on startup then settles to around 40 amps using the high-speed wire.  Using 30a relays is just asking for a short and or fire.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

chrisfranklin

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 06:50:45 AM »
I read the link, YellowTA.  Nice write up and the kind of detail I was looking for.  

If you pull the stock fan, then I guess it gives you room for an underhood safe or maybe an engine-heat powered grill or something  :lol:

yellowta

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 06:54:12 AM »
I agree about the 30amp relay thing. I wouldn't want to take any chances when it comes to my jeep possibly catching on fire :lol:   I still need to pick up a relay for my high speed, would radio shack be a good place to look?

midnightcwby

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 03:00:25 PM »
I have found over the years that Radio Shack should be treated as a last resort.  They soak you for price because they offer small quantity orders and they have things "on hand".   They don't usually have high current,  high duty cycle relays though.  www.allelectronics.com  These guys DO have all sorts of high current applications and they have pretty good prices too.

Guardian7

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 12:55:56 AM »
I just installed a Flex-a-lite Black Magic on my YJ which is their universal electric fan kit with built in adjustable thermostat, AC relay, and manual overide. This set me back about $150 on ebay and I checked the Flex-a-lite Website specs on the 475 to make sure on the size and model had what I needed. It was easy to wire, 1 long fused red wire to the battery, 1 short ground wire, 1 control wire. I found it much easier to drain and pull the radiator so I could drill four mounting holes to match up the brackets were the factory shroud mounted and I was done in about 2 hours! Summit Racing also has good prices on them. The 475 direct replacement custom fit for the wrangler but the Universals work well too. They also now sell a 485 Wrangler Extreme but they are about $300 and use S shaped blades for lower noise. The amp draw on the unit I used is 13 amps, and 2800 CFM which is alot of Air flow compared to the stock fan. The fan barely ever runs unless I am stopped at a light for a minute or two. My Optima 800 battery helps too!

sharpxmen

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 03:56:12 AM »
i read a write-up about this (don't have the link, sorry) - the guy used a 2 speed Taurus fan - looked at the pics and it was like stock. if you hit the junkyard you might want to have a look at measure one - i think you can get one for about $30.

yellowta

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 09:35:49 AM »
I paid $20 for my taurus fan, got it at the local U-pull it. I wired it up with a kit I bought from Jegs, pretty simple. I used two switches, one for low and high. The Jegs kit comes with a temp switch, as well as all the relays and stuff you need. I used it for the low speed, which is all I ever use, and wired the high speed independently off of another relay. I used some foam strips to seal the taurus fan housing against my radiator, and I can stand in front of the jeep with the fan on low and it will suck my shirt against the grill! :lol:

lutzke21

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 10:39:17 AM »
I got my Bosch 75a relays off Ebay...

One brand new one for $1 (plus $8 shipping) and the other for $15 (plus $7).  NAPA quoted me $65 for just one, before tax.  Two brand new relays for less than half the price of one from a RAPE-U store.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 12:03:26 PM »
I never go to Napa.  I used to like Kragen/Checkers/Shuckies but now it's Pepboys or online.  Ebay is great if you can wait.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

lutzke21

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 04:48:55 PM »
NAPA was the only local joint that had any... and they only had one.

Guardian7

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 08:37:34 PM »
Hey lutzke21, that is a beautiful YJ! what type lift is it running? what type of side bars? Do you have more pics and info?

lutzke21

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 06:57:38 AM »
Thanks...

It's the RE 4.5 XD and I've got a 2" BL (I know how everyone hate those).

The side bars are Smittybilt SRC.

I have photos up in the "Poseur Central" area (I love my Wrongler) and a semi-complete build sheet at Cardomain (accessable at http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/2229783)

Sorry for the thread-hijack...