Author Topic: electric fan  (Read 5051 times)

lanulos89

electric fan
« on: October 12, 2006, 04:20:03 PM »
so saterday i plan on replacing my radiator, and ripping out my mechanical fan and replacing it with and electricall on.  Im doing this to try and rob more power out of my little four banger.  Any tips or words of wisdom from the jeep gods (you guys).

YJmechanic

electric fan
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:46:43 PM »
make sure the mounts have rubber on them or it will vibrate bad.  and if you just put it on a toggle switch,  tape a note on the dash board for a while so you don't forget turn it on.  other than that go for it any power helps.

lanulos89

electric fan
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
my motor mounts are maybe 4 months old, they got replaced when i fixed my exhaust manifold, and as for the power to it i ordered a thermostat today, so till it come im gonna run it on a toggle switch, but once its here thermostat will take care of it.

chrisfranklin

electric fan
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2006, 10:42:08 PM »
Once you rip out the fan and fan shroud, then you are going to be left with a huge "gap" between the 4 banger and the radiator.

The "gap" in question is termed by the scientific community as the "Time-for-a-V8-Swap" gap.     :hump:

lanulos89

electric fan
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 04:10:34 AM »
hmm  yea i realized i was thinking more along the lines of a 4.3l vortec, but a v8 could work :D

YJmechanic

electric fan
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 05:07:39 AM »
i meant make sure the fan is mounted on rubber or it will vibrate not the motor and a v8 is just giving up too easily

black99tj

electric fan
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2006, 06:02:26 AM »
Having done this same modification to my jeep, I would suggest using a relay in your system. You do not want to send 30+ amps through a cheap wal-mart toggle switch if that is the way your are going. I personally have a 2 speed Taurus fan with a toggle stich for which I ran 2 relays. One for high, one for low. I actually never even use high.

jwrape

electric fan
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2006, 08:29:22 AM »
Quote from: "black99tj"
Having done this same modification to my jeep, I would suggest using a relay in your system. You do not want to send 30+ amps through a cheap wal-mart toggle switch if that is the way your are going. I personally have a 2 speed Taurus fan with a toggle stich for which I ran 2 relays. One for high, one for low. I actually never even use high.

Aww ya beat me to it. Definately a relay system. I have had an electric fan on my Jeep for most of a year now and I had a electric fan on my 91 Mustang GT Vert too. I have gone through multiple used electric fans until I got these last ones. I think I went through 5 electric fans on the Mustang until I bought a Volvo V70 Fan and shroud, and it worked AWSOME! It never failed.

The Jeep has been through 3 electric fans, all off of Ebay. They would work for a few months and then give out. I finally bought a BRAND NEW 16" fan from AZ and mounted it. It did fine until I went over a bump in on my property and almost jumped the Jeep and the fan came loose from its mounts and ended up destroying itself. Luckily I had a Brand New 12" that I immediately installed. It has been doing MUCH better. I mounted the 12" much sturdier than the 16". I plan to take the 16" back since I have only had it for 3 weeks and the mounting pieces that came with it were what failed to keep it secure on the radiator.

The main thing is to get a NEW Fan to begin with and Mount it with a good solid mount but with rubber bushings or foam between the fan itself and the mouting brackets. Most of the new ones come with foam to go between the fan and the radiator, USE them if you have them and make sure there is nothing obstructing the fan spinning.
For my Jeep a 12" is plenty because I am running a 165 degree thermostat but I would usually run at least a 14". The 16" blew A LOT of air. You could hear that thing coming it was pushing a ton of air.

I have mine wired through a relay that is connected to the ignition through the fuse box behind the dash to come on when I turn on the key. Works great. My Jeep stays at a constant 165 all day long in traffic.

Offline chardrc

electric fan
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2006, 03:38:42 PM »
Quote from: "lanulos89"
hmm  yea i realized i was thinking more along the lines of a 4.3l vortec, but a v8 could work :D

aw the 4.3 vortec.. we have 2 at our house.. 1 in my s10 still runs good with power(needs a clutch but thats erelivent) and 1 is siting in our garage wating for a home... my dad wants to put it in our extra cj2a  butu i kinda want to put it in my jeep.. were will it go only time will tell.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

electric fan
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2006, 07:33:35 PM »
yea i kno a bout the relay, also im putting a fuse, comn guys im not a noob, i just disappeared off this site for a while.  I ripped the radiator out, and a/c system it was dead anyway, now im gonna go fab up my brakets to hold my fan to my radiator.  ill be done morow so ill post some pics up then.

bad quality sry camera is in the car so i used my fone

lanulos89

electric fan
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 01:45:06 PM »
well its done and works pretty good.  i just gotta wait for the thermostat to come .

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
electric fan
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 01:52:10 PM »
What is that fan from?
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

electric fan
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 02:19:02 PM »
is that fsan realy big enough to keep the motor cool.. cuz i have to fans about that size in my shed form a ford torus and i thougfht i had the wron ones cuz they were so smal
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lanulos89

electric fan
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 02:21:01 PM »
no idea what the fan is from my friend didnt use it when we swaped a 350 into his nova so he gave me it.  It keeps the temp around 190, and it has a 190 degree thermostat in it so it seems to be good,  if it becomes bad ill let yall know.