Author Topic: 2.5 vs 2.4 engine  (Read 19475 times)

JeepersCreepers

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »
Quote from: "keithert"
Quote from: "YJmechanic"
but the 2.4 in the jeep is not a neon motor.  the 2.4 in the neons and the jeeps are totally different motors.  the 2.4 in the jeeps is actually from the stratus coupe and is actually a mitsubishi motor.

I don't think it is a Mitsu motor.  The Mitsu 2.4 is a SOHC engine and the Mitsu DOHC heads look a lot different than the one in the SE.

Read my post & here is a link where I got the info:  
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.4

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2006, 07:07:59 PM »
I'm going to say the 2.4 probably has more potential. just because its peak torque comes higher in the RPM doesn't mean it doesn't make more low end then our 2.5L... SOHC head and an efficient design can make it hold power a lot longer. It has a 101mm stroke, it should be torquier then our 2.5L's 89mm stroke (rod to stroke ratio will play a role here also becuase of piston speeds). I dont know if that 2.4 will last as long though, big stroke is more strain on the bearings, but it is a newer design so it should be better.

Liljeepz

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2006, 07:19:25 PM »
Good link, explains a lot about it.

zeitlerusmc

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 10:50:46 AM »
13-16mpg with a 2.4l 6spd and 3:73's turning 33 bfg muds

YJmechanic

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 05:10:48 PM »
the 2.4 in the jeeps is not the mitsubi motor that you are thinking of with the single cam.  mitsu makes a lot of the dodge and chrysler motors.  the stratus coupe was the original plattform for the motor and the stratus cooupe is entirley mitsu.  we can't even you dc equip to diag the cars. they run their own mitsu controllers and everything.  the motors were just adapted over to the jeeps for emmissions reasons.  the liberty runs a mitsu mercedes combo motor.  dc is using everything they own to make these combo parts for all the vehicles.  and by the way don't worry about the 2.4 being a pos.  there is still plenty of power to be had out of the motor it is just higher up so use deeper gears to compensate the low end and get lots of power from the motor in the high end.  that is pretty much what my setup is.   i spin almost 7k on my motor and rely on gearing on the low end.

iismet

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2006, 12:19:53 PM »
Quote from: "zeitlerusmc"
13-16mpg with a 2.4l 6spd and 3:73's turning 33 bfg muds

Regear it - you will be happy. That milage is lousy.

Tall Boy

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 12:14:59 AM »
I tried to race a girl in her 2.4l and she won me in my 2.5l.   :cry: I really wanted her to check my muscles out but she didn't like my ride :cry: .  They are faster off the line, and probably have more torque off the line. I had done an intake, tbs, and flowmaster  muffler and still lost. But I had 30's on and she had the stock 225's I think. I think she had the 373 gears maybe cause i got 4 11's. Her 1st gear wound out further than mine.

Bizatch, showing off her newer 4 banger. If I saw her now a year later it wouldn't surprise me if she had a mullit hair dew.

YJmechanic

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 03:31:59 PM »
i have no idea what you are talking about but the 2.4 especially with 373 should not even be close off the line as a 2.5 with 410.  you either have a problem or she's hiding something.

JeepersCreepers

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 09:58:03 PM »
Quote from: "YJmechanic"
i have no idea what you are talking about but the 2.4 especially with 373 should not even be close off the line as a 2.5 with 410.  you either have a problem or she's hiding something.

It could have to do with Tall Boys larger tire size(evens up the gear advantage) & the 30 more HP the 2.4 has?......................... :D

Tall Boy

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 10:13:12 PM »
Yj mechanic knows. :P   My brother is a Hyundai tech and business is slow right now.  8) Sitting back in the recliner waiting for work shooting the breeze and sipping soda pop  :beer: .

He's right though, there is always something wrong with a Jeep. Just Empty Every Pocket (J.E.E.P.)

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006, 11:36:10 AM »
I still want to see a dyno of the 2.4, i bet it has more torque across the whole powerband then our 2.5L It has a much larger stroke. Our 2.5L gets its size from it's bore. Not to mention the 2.4 is probably lighter/better balanced, better timing and fuel maps, SOHC experiences less resistance then a push rod motor. The list can go on and on. greaing of the transmissions (both manual?), what each person launched at.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006, 12:57:37 PM »
Quote from: "wrangler387"
I still want to see a dyno of the 2.4, i bet it has more torque across the whole powerband then our 2.5L It has a much larger stroke. Our 2.5L gets its size from it's bore. Not to mention the 2.4 is probably lighter/better balanced, better timing and fuel maps, SOHC experiences less resistance then a push rod motor. The list can go on and on. greaing of the transmissions (both manual?), what each person launched at.

Except for the fact that the inlines produce more low-end torque.  Just looking at the specs, a 2.5L will produce peak at 3000RPM's less then the DOHC 2.4L.  I still haven't driven one but a friend on another board had owned a 2.5L and two 2.4L Wranglers.  He sold all three for other reasons but he always wished he kept the 2.5L because of the low-end torque.

As for Tall Boy's race. There are too many unknowns.  I doubt 30" tires will make that much of a difference over stock 28/29's.  The driver on the other hand can make a big difference.  If you're shifting too low, you won't be in the powerband for the next shift which will really slow you down.  Although if she was driving an Auto, all she's got to do is punch it and let the transmission do all the work.  With everything being unknown, there's no way to tell.

I'd imagine the 2.5L would have better off the line start but the 2.4L would start coming back after they hit around 45mph.  Then the 2.4L would start reeling the 2.5L in.  Although the track would have to be pretty long in which case they might run out of track.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

wrangler387

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006, 01:34:18 PM »
Just because the 2.5L hits peak torque earlier doesn't mean that the 2.4L produces less torque in those areas. Engine design and tuning can make a cars torque carry much further into the powerband. With today's techonology smaller motors can easily produce more torque and longer then our 2.5L motors. If our 2.5L motor had a bigger stroke then i think it would be different, but the fact that the 2.5L only has a stroke of 89mm makes me question whether it truely has more lower end. typically a larger stroke pulls the powerband down more, since pistons speeds are generally higher (rod to stroke ratio). My old 2.2-2.3L hondas definately put out more low end torque then my current 2.5L jeep. Bigger stroke, better design, better tuning... Timing makes a world of a difference in how good your motor feels down low. Only good thing i can say about a small stroke (assuming it has decent length rods, which it must since its supposed to be based off the 6 cylinder motor which uses a bigger stroke) is that it's nice for forced induction since the piston spends more time at TDC, so the smaller jeep stroke isn't bothering me to much.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006, 02:10:07 PM »
I agree that we need to see a dyno of the 2.4L to really be sure.  I only have the official one for the 2.5L.  I still have my doubt on the 2.4L.  Like I said this person owned both variations of the 2.4L Wrangler as well as a 2.5L.  Not only did he not like the power output but be also got lackluster gas mileage.  I don't think they ever got the gearing right for the 2.4L either, which probably hurt it as well.  They jumped from 3.73 in the Auto and 4.11's in the Manual to 4.56 in both and then 3.73 in both till they killed it off.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

mud4feet

2.5 vs 2.4 engine
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
6000 rpm?? :shock: !!! My tach ('03 2.4) redlines about 5500. When she's crankin' 4500, I can tell I better be shifting. Where'd that 6000 number come from??

BTW - Wife's '94 2.5 feels like it's got lots more power than my 2.4.............probably the aforementioned low-end torque.