Author Topic: Experience with Long Arm Suspension for 2001 TJ?  (Read 1956 times)

(O|||||O) in SB

Experience with Long Arm Suspension for 2001 TJ?
« on: December 08, 2006, 05:17:17 AM »
I would like to install a long arm suspension and am looking for input on which one to get.

Some options:
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 5.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 3.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Fabtech - Fabtech 6" Long Arm Suspension Lift Kit
   Full Traction - Full Traction 4" or 6" Long Arm Suspension System
   Rock Krawler - Rock Krawler 4" Severe Duty Long Arm System
   Rock Krawler - Rock Krawler 5.5" Severe Duty Long Arm System
   Rock Krawler - Rock Krawler 7" Severe Duty Long Arm System
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 5.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Rubicon Express - Rubicon Express 3.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm Kit
   Skyjacker - Skyjacker Long Arm Suspension
   Teraflex - Teraflex 4" Long Arm Suspension Lift Kit

So far in my research it looks like the Rubicon Express are the best and easier to install than some of the others.  The Full Traction versions are also interesting.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 07:17:47 AM »
You must really want us to pick the Rubicon Express one...you list them twice. :lol:

Actually...I'm looking at them as well and I think I'll be going with the RE 4.5"...unless my Jeep measures low enough after I install my new front bumper and winch to go to the 5.5".

The Teraflex arms look a little more bulky/cobbled than the RE to me...I'm sure that doesn't mean they are any weaker.....I guess I just like the way the RE looks under the Jeep...that silver will be hot under all my black.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Erik

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 11:06:04 PM »
RE makes a great kit... if a  kit is what you want/ need.

if you are local to nc's easy coast send me a pm.  capefear4x4.com makes a great long arm system that in my opinion is superior to RE's....

Tall Boy

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 01:13:58 AM »
Fabtech is the leader in offroad stuff I hear. They have been doing it the longest. Their colors are blue I believe.
If you do get one, bring it over to my house and I'll put it on my Jeep free of charge.  That's a smoking deal I should say old chap.

(O|||||O) in SB

Actual Experience?
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 02:12:24 AM »
I read lots about these long arm suspension systems so I'd really like to get some feedback from someone who has installed or used one.

Anyone out there?

I looked at www.capefear4x4.com and found a Teraflex long arm suspension kit for $4,500. Is that the system that was mentioned? I hope it is better. That's a lot more than the $2,500 for the RE kit ($3,000 if you add quality shocks and CV).

(O|||||O) in SB

SB means I live in Santa Barbara, CA
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 02:14:05 AM »
SB means I live in Santa Barbara, CA

Jesse-James

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 05:21:05 AM »
I lived in Santa Maria when I was a kid, nice area out there.

Offline chardrc

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 07:51:55 AM »
my dad has the 4 inch full traction long arm kit on his 06 Rubicon.. it looks great.. although the 6inch would look better :twisted: ... the sad thing is the only time he has gotten it into the mountains so far i wasn't there so i cant give a first had account of how good it works. but my dad said that there were no trails in the area that he couldn't go.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Tall Boy

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 01:01:09 PM »
Long arm means you can throw your tires over some huge boulders (like 3-5 feet tall if you got huge tires) and not worry too much about scraping and moving your body on top of the boulder and such. The L/A from fabtech replaces the geometry for the Jeep by using new control arms and mounting a new frame for the c/arms closer to the treanny skid plate. Alot of articulation. This is made for the serious rock crawlers to do the most extreme stuff. If you got stock 35 and 30 it is almost not worth the money unless you plan on upgrading to a dana 44, ford 9" 8.8" , dana 60 or something like that. youd break your axles apart. Unless your doing it for show.

I would just stick with a mild 2" lift, with some aftermarket 4wd.com c/arms for your stock jeep cause really the most you can go as far as tires are concerned are 31's to be safely locked. Maybe 32's.

(O|||||O) in SB

Other reasons for long arm suspension
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:20:07 PM »
The reason I am looking at long arm suspensions is to provide better suspension geometry for 4x4 trails and on highway. I want to improve highway handling and off-road handling while increaseing ground clearance. While I want to get over larger rocks, I am not a rock crawler fanatic.

FOr example the vehicles that they use in the Baja 500 have very long arms extending from about the middle of the vehicle to the axles. This allows them to maintain control while quickly going over bump after bump.

Here is a link detailing the installation of the Full Traction long arm system: http://www.4x4xplor.com/full-traction.html

Installation is quite a job. Has anybody out there installed their own long arm system?

Offline chardrc

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 06:18:48 AM »
we wanted to install our own but we were too busy so we took it to the shop :oops:  :( ... and it did improve highway handling also. :P

and you gotta love the so called "optional" egzaust that you have to have to make any egzaust system work in it.. and it sounds sweet too... but thats for a 6 cylinder i don't know what the 4 banger will do with it.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Tall Boy

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 08:21:45 AM »
Quote from: "Tall Boy"
Fabtech is the leader in offroad stuff I hear. They have been doing it the longest. Their colors are blue I believe.
If you do get one, bring it over to my house and I'll put it on my Jeep free of charge.  That's a smoking deal I should say old chap.

I do say again.

fatboysoffroad

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 05:30:19 PM »
Quote from: "Tall Boy"

It used to be that you could get Fabtech in either blue or black but they have discontinued most of the blue stuff. At least for Jeep anyway. They still use blue in the catalog for illustration.

JLE

Tall Boy

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 06:02:42 PM »
Ohh, I had no idea. I just wish I had one.   :D