Author Topic: coolant problems  (Read 1839 times)

Tall Boy

coolant problems
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 09:34:13 PM »
it's always better to keep it in the courtroom.

Guardian7

coolant problems
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 11:54:59 PM »
This whole mess sounds very strange to me, you may want a 3rd opinion. Does the mechanic actually know where the crack is and how did he find it? Usually you need to magnaflux in order to find cracks. I don't understand how someone could seal a cracked block with pipe dope either? I have been a mechanic for 30 years and have never heard anything like this one! I have seen pipe dope used on the heater hose fitting which comes off the water pump. The block & head are cast iron and can stand a few overheats. Your area does sound very cold which could cause coolant to freeze in the block possibly cracking it but that is what freeze plugs are there to prevent. Was the thermostat maybe installed backwards, could the mechanic have screwed up and not being honest about it :?

Hockey1

coolant problems
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 12:12:01 PM »
the rad guy told me he flushed out the system and still overheated. he said he did a compression test and thats when he found the dope and the crack. he said its very noticable. and very large. ill take pics when i get it back home here. the guy i bought it from told me that it had been rebuilt. the rad guy said that all of the freeze plugs were new. all i know is that im out of an engine.

Guardian7

coolant problems
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 11:36:15 PM »
Sounds like the block may have cracked from freezing since all the freeze plugs are new. Engines are not hard to find it's the work to install if you need to pay someone to do work. I just new factory short blocks on ebay going for $400 can you do the work yourself? All would need a $40 engine stand from Harbor Freight and rent a cherry picker when your ready to do the swap. If you have a garage you can construct a hoist with a 4X6 and couple 4x4's and a come along.

Hockey1

coolant problems
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »
do you think 450 is to much? i found a 2.5 out of a 95 yj. it comes with a 90 day warranty. they said that the engine can be seen running, and that they guarrantee against leaks, knocks and pings. but the guy said that ill have to do major mods so that it will work in my 90. is that true?

Offline chardrc

coolant problems
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 04:49:30 PM »
you will need a new ecu and wire ring harness in your jeep.. because 1990 and older has tbi fuel injection and 91 and newer 2.5l have mpi fuel injection which used totally different ecus and wiring harness. but mpi does give you more power . but its alot of work to put in new ecu and wiring harness.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
coolant problems
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 08:32:37 PM »
You'll need a LOT more then a PCM and harness.  You'll want to grab everything from the engine, harness, sensors, exhaust manifold, as well as the fuel line down the frame and the gas tank.  It would also be good to get the harness to the transfer case (VSS) and you will probably want the harness behind the dash as well as both gauge pods.  It's a lot of work but there is no fabrication and   You will gain 12hp over your stock engine.  Not to mention get slightly better gas mileage.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."