Author Topic: JP Magazine recommends other options vs. Stroking the 2.5  (Read 2078 times)

chrisfranklin

JP Magazine recommends other options vs. Stroking the 2.5
« on: February 01, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
Wish I had a link for you.  Was flipping through the latest issue of Jp Magazine, today and reading a letter from their Mailbag section.

Reader has a 4 cylinder Wrangler and was looking for advice on stroking it.  Editor replies that he did the math formulas for different internal engine mods - stroke, camshaft, etc. - and the editor's view was that it would take about $5000 worth of work to make an additonal 20hp stroking a 4banger.  He recommended the guy go with a super or turbocharger kit.

Then I'm reading guys here at 4BangerJP who are doing subtantially better stroking the 2.5, both in terms of greater HP and much less money invested than the editor suggested

Why do I tend to believe the guys here versus JP?  Cause it's safe to guess that the guys at JP Magazine don't like the 4Banger  :lol:   This is demonstrated by their consistent knocks against the thing in practically every issue I read: 2.5 is  "anemic" or "under-powered" or "moaning."

j33p3r

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:51:40 PM »
They are also about making money/selling magazines.  Many advertisements in their magazine.  It does seem as though they push for the more expensive 4.0L.

I think most people go for more power and higher lifts then having skills to wheel off road.  We know you dont need high horsepower or eight inches of lift to wheel offroad.

Jesse-James

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »
I cancelled JP last year because of 4 banger comments. They down the 2.5 in every issue.

might4banger

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 08:26:18 PM »
^ I'll agree - they also seem to run the same tire acrticle for the past 3+ years... Not much to offer thesedays from JP.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 09:43:43 PM »
Well, here's the deal.  2.5L's are a tiny market.  So most magazines focus on the 4.0L's and larger.

As for magazines that are worth reading:  

4WD & SU
Crawl
4x4Builder
LowRange
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 05:49:58 AM »
I understand it's a small market, but it's one thing to ignore us 4 bangers. It's another thing to make snide remarks. I've seen it several times in that waste of paper. That and I got sick of them pimping the same silicone impregnated Bree month after month.

4WD & SU I pick up once in a while. Crawl, 4x4Builder, and Low Range I haven't heard of. I'll have to look into them. Thanx Jeffy.

Liljeepz

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 08:15:47 AM »
I still like JP. Bree can get dropped tho... Can't stand her.
The did a good job on the Lil scrappy wright up tho. but it dose seem that they do think bigger is better, but I see that in all 4x4 mags.

4X4DAVE

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 11:26:07 AM »
In that same issue I read that putting a 4.0L T/B in a 2.5L is not worth it. They said they saw a decease, if i read it right. That going to show that they dont know what they are talking about when it come to the 2.5L

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Is there not one of us who dreams of ripping out our 4-banger and replacing it with a monster motor??

Not that I don't love my Jeep....but I need more power and will run stock until I can rip the whole thing out.
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 01:13:15 PM »
Quote from: "4X4DAVE"
In that same issue I read that putting a 4.0L T/B in a 2.5L is not worth it. They said they saw a decease, if i read it right. That going to show that they dont know what they are talking about when it come to the 2.5L

Well, I know one of the Jeeps they used was a 2.5L that was rebuilt.  They used a bored out 62mm TB and had problems.  I told the guy, he should use a stock TB and the problems would go away...

Honestly, Cappa is an idiot.  I'm sure his posts are still on the POR Forums.

As for swapping.  Well, I've been saying that for years but the engine keeps on running.  I'm just going to keep it for as long as it runs.  It's too much of a hassle to do a swap properly in CA.  That's money better spent else were.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

lanulos89

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »
id love to drop in a monster motor, but the sheer fact that it will cost at least 3grand kinda makes me love my 4 banger even more.

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 02:30:04 PM »
I think I could write a good movie about a Jeep guy who goes around robbing banks so he can buy crap for his Jeep so he can wheel everywhere....oh wait...Point Break :x

Offline chardrc

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 02:36:30 PM »
speaking of magazines.. anyone read 4 wheel drive magizine adn try there Geostash thing.. pretty addicting.. but haven't gotten one yet (always far away except for the one time when we were beaten to the spot)
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur ExtraordinaireŽ
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 02:54:13 PM »
Quote from: "chardrc"
speaking of magazines.. anyone read 4 wheel drive magizine adn try there Geostash thing.. pretty addicting.. but haven't gotten one yet (always far away except for the one time when we were beaten to the spot)

I'm awful at finding the clues...found one set of numbers one month, but couldn't find the others...and now they have a whole new set of clues for the map thingy (although I did recognize the mountains from living in VA in the last one.)

Offline chardrc

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 03:11:50 PM »
ow so thats what those random hidden words are for... i haven't really gotten into the hole topo map thing.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr