Author Topic: Building a S35  (Read 864 times)

01amberfirewv

Building a S35
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
I am probubly going to buy this http://www.jeepinwv.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3328

What else should I get if/when I do it.  I was thinking I should get outter bearings but I'm not sure what else. 

01amberfirewv

Re: Building a S35
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:36:38 PM »
click free

--Super 35 kit includes the Detroit Locker and Superior 30 spline alloy axles (dual bolt pattern 5on5.5 and 5on4.5), was in a 04 TJ fits 373-410-456-488 gears. 1/2" ring gear bolts. Less than 1500 miles. $550.00

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 04:00:26 PM »
Well, if it was me, I'd upgrade the whole axle with something stronger.  It really depends on what you want to do though.  if you don't have any fabrication skills then a bolt-in option would be your only choice.  If you're planning on going to 35's, then I'd pass on it.  Now if you're sticking with 33's or under, then it shouldn't be a problem.  Although, you'll really want to truss that D35.  They flex quite a bit(this is what causes side adn spyder egars to break).  You won't have that problem with the Detroit flex still isn't a good thing.  Oh and keep in mind, you'll have to shim the diff again. It may or may not have the same dimensions as the stock carrier.  Oh and you're still running C-clips, although with the larger shafts, they should break as often.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:14:59 PM »
For $550 I would do it for the time being. Not that big of loss if you decide to get rid of it later. Could probably sell it as a whole axle and make most of that up.

01amberfirewv

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:47:58 PM »
I don't plan on going any bigger than 33x10.50 for now and if I ever do I think I'll swap both axles for something I can put lower gears in.  I know someone who said they can help me set the gears up so I'll probubly do the S35 4.88's and a truetrac up front.  So far I have only seen on D35 break (but it was mine :crap:) and only know a one or two others so I think our trails are a little easier on diff's.  I figure I could get away with front and rear tt's but this sounds like a good deal to me. 

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitly be looking for a truss.  I read on JU that Superior started making them again

Also what brand gears should I get.  I have heard some are better or at least more durable than others
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 08:00:24 PM by 01amberfirewv »