Author Topic: Gas Mileage Thread  (Read 64362 times)

Offline chardrc

Re: Official Gas Mileage Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
Does your state switch over to a 'Winter Blend'?  If it does, then that's the reason.  Also, during winter, people use their heaters, wipers and lights more often which causes the alternator to charge more.  Although, I doubt that's measurable/

the mpg is lost in the motor not being warmed up (as fast) resulting in a richer fuel ratio and a slightly higher idel... and when its really cold and i have to sit and let it warm up
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

indyjeepnut

« Reply #121 on: February 07, 2009, 10:47:33 AM »
Debating on 456 or 488... 2.5 ax5 31's anyone running either of these combo's. With 488 I should be tacking 3k @ 65mph. 456 should be 2600. Which would be better gas mileage for street driving? From what I have read the 2.5 like to run around 3k.

Give me your thoughts

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2009, 10:20:06 AM »
Tranny = AX5
Motor = 2.5L MPFI
Tire size = 37 (32psi)
Gearing = 5.38
Checked my speedo with a GPS it's on the money!
Engine mods = Rockit City intake tube with K/N. 4.0TB non bored intake. Flowmaster 50 series muffler.

My last run I checked my mileage. I got 12.9 MPG. This is doing 65-70 MPH thru some hills and flat HWY. I  :lol: real hard when one of the guys running a 4.0 XJ told me I was driving to fast and to keep it under 65MPH!

When I was running 4.88's and 35's I was getting about 10 MPG.

When I bore the intake and add the 62mm TB I will update.
Update With the 62MM TB I got 13.8 MPG. I drove the same route as my last gas mileage post.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »
Filled up the other day and I've kept my foot out of the skinny pedal as much as possible to see what kind of mileage I truly get out of a tank. Granted this tank will be like 95% city driving, I'm anxious to see what I get, as my gas guage seems to be moving at a nice, slow rate  :dance:

Sometimes I forget how much better mileage I get when I don't drive the piss out of it  :ass:
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline aka-justin

« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »
I get about 15 MPG in my 1995YJ.

AX5
2.5L 4 Banger!
31x12.5xR15 ProComp Mud Terrians
Stock 4.11 Gearing
No Speed Calibration, only off by 1 mph per 15.  When I'm doing 60 per the gauge, I'm going 64-65.
Only upgraded the TB to a 4.0 and did a tune up. (Spark Plugs, Oil and Filter, Air Filter, Fuel Filter, and Diff./Transmission/Axle Fluid Change)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 09:15:43 AM by 1995yj »
[1995 YJ 2.5L with 4" lift on 31" KM2 - Sold] 1995yj
[2003 TJ Rubicon 4.0L with 4" lift on 35" Wrangler M/T - Sold]
To be continued...
--Justin

Offline dexetr30

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
  • Aloha Mr. Hand!
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2009, 07:58:35 AM »
My mileage is slowly making it's way back up to where it should be during the warmer months. I figure it's due to not having to warm it up for 10 minutes every morning and not having it in 4wd all the time.

Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like my mileage sucks when I use gas with 10% ethanol in it. Does this happen to anyone else?
02 2.5.L automatic: 4.0L t.b., 4.0l air intake, K&N filter, Scream'n Demon coil, 8.5mm MSD Super Conductor plug wires, Stage 1 Jet Chip, 29" BFG all terrain KO's. Taurus E-fan, Hummer front bumper, Skyjacker high capacity trans pan, 48" hi-lift, Rubi susp w. 3/4" BB.

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
Mileage went down to just over 11. The only thing I changed was swapping the soft top for a bikini and taking the K&N/Rockit city air intake tube off and swapping in a OE TJ intake box.
How much areo loss is there by going from a soft top to a bikini?
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »
Mileage went down to just over 11. The only thing I changed was swapping the soft top for a bikini and taking the K&N/Rockit city air intake tube off and swapping in a OE TJ intake box.
How much areo loss is there by going from a soft top to a bikini?
A lot.  There is too much turbulence with no top or bikini top on.  Air gets sucked back into the Jeep from behind, air getting sucked in from the sides, etc...   I noticed a difference in mileage when I went from Soft top to a hard top even though the hardtop adds weight.  The hardtop has a slicker surface so there is less for teh wind to grab, not to mention it's 2" shorter then the softtop.  The softtop inflates at higher speeds which also increases it's size.  The flapping doesn't help either.  BUT this is at higher speeds.  Aerodynamics come into play at speeds higher then 35MPH.  At 55MPH it's not too bad, even 60MPH but start pushing it to 70 or higher and you'll start to hit the proverbial brick wall.

I've mentioned this before but I played around, removing a bunch of weight and noticed no difference at highway speeds in mileage.  I removed my rear bumper, rear seat, spare, spare mount, passenger side mirror, winch, winch plate, aux lights etc and noticed very little is any difference at highway speeds.  I did notice it was quicker from a stand still.

Also when I was playing around with the intake and exhaust, I noticed I have more torque with the stock air box and my Borla.  I was running a K&N open element and I was able to REV more freely but there wasn't as much torque at the low or mid.  I had more HP at the top end though.  I also noticed when I punched a 2" tear in my exhaust right after teh muffler,  I had less torque but had more HP at the top end.  It was enough to feel the difference.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2009, 12:22:14 PM »
Maybe I'm crazy but it seems like my mileage sucks when I use gas with 10% ethanol in it. Does this happen to anyone else?
Yes, ethanol reduces your mileage.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2009, 12:33:47 PM »
Yes, ethanol reduces your mileage.

Correct; ethanol has less energy than gas, hence you need to consume more to get the same power...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline FourbangerYJ

« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2009, 02:14:54 PM »
A lot.  There is too much turbulence with no top or bikini top on.  Air gets sucked back into the Jeep from behind, air getting sucked in from the sides, etc...   I noticed a difference in mileage when I went from Soft top to a hard top even though the hardtop adds weight.  The hardtop has a slicker surface so there is less for teh wind to grab, not to mention it's 2" shorter then the softtop.  The softtop inflates at higher speeds which also increases it's size.  The flapping doesn't help either.  BUT this is at higher speeds.  Aerodynamics come into play at speeds higher then 35MPH.  At 55MPH it's not too bad, even 60MPH but start pushing it to 70 or higher and you'll start to hit the proverbial brick wall.

I've mentioned this before but I played around, removing a bunch of weight and noticed no difference at highway speeds in mileage.  I removed my rear bumper, rear seat, spare, spare mount, passenger side mirror, winch, winch plate, aux lights etc and noticed very little is any difference at highway speeds.  I did notice it was quicker from a stand still.

Also when I was playing around with the intake and exhaust, I noticed I have more torque with the stock air box and my Borla.  I was running a K&N open element and I was able to REV more freely but there wasn't as much torque at the low or mid.  I had more HP at the top end though.  I also noticed when I punched a 2" tear in my exhaust right after teh muffler,  I had less torque but had more HP at the top end.  It was enough to feel the difference.

Good to know. I have run the bikini for so many years all year, then last fall I got a soft top. Good info THANKS!
Interesting on the weight study. I thought for sure that on the top end a lighter Jeep would beable to have a higher top speed. Make sense getting off the line.
I have always gotten fairly low mileage around 10. I was kinda shocked that I was getting in the 13's. I had not realized that the type of top you run makes such a differance in mileage.
Scott~

Bill M.

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2009, 12:55:05 PM »

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but why did you induce an exhasut leak?? I would think a small horsepower gain for a exhasut leak wouldnt be a good idea!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but why did you induce an exhasut leak?? I would think a small horsepower gain for a exhasut leak wouldnt be a good idea!
I did not induce one it just sort of ripped open.   :uhoh:  Ended up with a 2" tear, 1/2" wide in the pipe right after the muffler.  It wasn't ideal since the increase of HP was at the expensive of low end torque.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2009, 12:43:57 PM »
My 4Banger can now "out-drink" a big V8!  :lol:
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

spoonman

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2009, 08:03:26 AM »
since gas has been cheap all summer, i have been driving my jeep for my daily commute. it's 100 miles with mostly highway. i've not been easy on it and going 70+ on the freeway. i'm still getting 19.5. i think this week i'll try hypermiling the jeep. my jeep is stock except for panel filter and cat back. eventually i'll get a 4.0 tb when davey's gets one in. the tires are stock too.  it's not an offraod jeep b/c i need it as a 3rd vehicle. it gets alot worse mileage than my hyundai accent (46) , but is something a can live with.