Author Topic: Gas Mileage Thread  (Read 64284 times)

WranglerCOdy

Re: Gas Mileage Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 06, 2011, 06:19:46 AM »
i get horrible gas miliage right now ahah. due to 35's that are the size of bald 37's.(pulled up next to me budy with 37's and they were a little bit smaller.)

but i have in my heep

4.0throttle body
throttle body spacer
Cold(ish) air intake
Flowmaster 40 series
electric fan(big difference!!!!!)

also cleaned out my PCV and notice that the majority of my blow by is gone. 2.5 L have a type of PCV called a fixxed Orafice. it is the brass fitting on the front of the valve cover. in my case, mine was serious clogged full of dirt and oil or something and would not allow it to ventalate. and with it clogged it will squeeze oil out of everywhere. when i cleaned that bad boy in the parts washer and cleaned my Vent filter on the rear of the the valve cover i have noticed that it isnt nearly as nasty as it used to be. it was so bad it would go thru the filter and coat the fire wall and harness with oil. also noticed after cleaning it that made a noticeable gain in performance. it seemed as if it wasnt working as hard as it usually would have to previous to cleaning the PCV.

i still most likely have some blow by and i plan on actually running a catch can to keep the engie bay a little but cleaner.

jramey

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2011, 12:42:33 PM »
2.5l mpfi xj stock
Ax5
Stock wheels

I was gettn righr around 20mpg before the 4.0tb, havnt calculated since but it seems with the tb that im gettn better. Filling up tomorrow and ill recalcutate n see

Quite Happy

« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »
Just shy of 9 (yes, single digit) last fill up.  I'm thinking maybe something's going on with the ECM that controls the mixture.  Maybe leaner would give me the added horsepower I'm looking for.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »
Just shy of 9 (yes, single digit) last fill up.  I'm thinking maybe something's going on with the ECM that controls the mixture.  Maybe leaner would give me the added horsepower I'm looking for.
A CJ will be lower then a YJ but 9 is pretty low.  I think 12-16 would be average with 50/50 Town/Highway.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jramey

« Reply #214 on: May 27, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
Calculations after the tb swap put me at 23.3mpg, keep in mind that was mostly hwy miles

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: May 27, 2011, 05:30:35 PM »
Calculations after the tb swap put me at 23.3mpg, keep in mind that was mostly hwy miles
That's pretty good.  The XJ's are a lot more aerodynamic then the Wranglers which helps a lot.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Eucalypta

• Eucalypta Oud-Hollands Snoepgoed
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
13.4 MPG  with my 2.5L, 4.0L TB, 33"x12.5" Mud tires, 4.10 diff
Drove about 120 miles on highway@ 60 mph and alot of off-road wheeling so I guess this will be better when I drive it on paved roads only.

Next weekend we will be exploring Furtenau in Germany (http://www.furstenforest.eu/)
I will be burning a tank of fuel on my way to the park so I will get some more information.

BTW: we have to pay $ 8.59 for a galon petrol 95 !!!

To Boldly go where no one has gone before - James T Kirk
1994 YJ 2.5L - 1996 ZJ 5.2 V8

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2011, 07:53:43 PM »
why not use 90 octane, is it still available in Europe?

so is the liter of 95 at 1.58 Euro now? (based on the price you gave that's what comes to) - was about 1.15 when i was there 4 years ago.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2011, 01:10:13 PM »
why not use 90 octane, is it still available in Europe?

so is the liter of 95 at 1.58 Euro now? (based on the price you gave that's what comes to) - was about 1.15 when i was there 4 years ago.

Only Euro 95 and 98 is available.
Prices vary; most are over € 1,60 / liter
On top of this; we have to pay road taxes which are dependable on weight and environmental impact of your car.
A Wrangler costs about € 160,= for 3 months.

This is the reason many Dutch buy very small/light cars. We just ordered a Renault Twingo 1.2L; this goes 18km on a liter and is taxfree for the next 2 years....
We keep the Wrangler and the minivan, the Grand Cherokee will be sold :((((

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2011, 01:46:19 PM »
Prices vary; most are over € 1,60 / liter

ouchieeee  :brick:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #220 on: May 31, 2011, 03:00:30 PM »
Only Euro 95 and 98 is available.

For some reason, here in CR as well as Panama, only 91 and 95 octane is available...  no 87 octane gas.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #221 on: May 31, 2011, 04:23:50 PM »
For some reason, here in CR as well as Panama, only 91 and 95 octane is available...  no 87 octane gas.

Europe used to have 90, 92 and 98 if i recall correctly (or maybe 90 and 98). 90 was used mostly in trucks and utility vehicles, all the small cars were using 98. then the unleaded came along and 95 was born. And seems that 90 and 92 is gone based on what he said. Diesel was always around, and used to be way cheaper than gasoline, last time i was there it was little difference in price (still cheaper but not by much). There was one kind of diesel (can't remember the name) which apparently was cleaner and more powerful (what the guy said at the pump trying to make me use that instead of good 'ol diesel fuel) and I think it was more expensive than the 95 octane. Funny thing is that you could buy heating oil for housing which was less than 1/2 the price (that was due to less taxes since it was for heating so not automotive use) and worked just fine in a diesel, but there was a limit as to how much you can use/buy every month based on house footprint or square footage to be more exact, there was still some room left to order some extra for a diesel vehicle.

EDIT: or maybe it was 90, 94 and 98 - can't remember
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:01:15 PM by sharpxmen »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: May 31, 2011, 04:50:51 PM »
For some reason, here in CR as well as Panama, only 91 and 95 octane is available...  no 87 octane gas.
There's really no reason for so many grades anyway.  It's cheaper to produce fewer grades.  I bet it's because most old pre-unleaded cars don't like 87.  There's no reason to make it other then to have a wider spread between prices.

Offline Eucalypta

« Reply #223 on: June 01, 2011, 03:40:19 AM »
Indeed we used to have more grades but only the 95 and 98 are left and even the 98 less and less available.

In France 95 is mixed with 5-10% bio fuell which some think are bad for you engine. In The Netherlands we will get 5% mix within a few years.

Diesel is very good available here and is about 1,43 Euro/liter. Cheaper as gasoline but the roadtax is much higher. So if you drive many miles/year, diesel is the best choice.
You can buy "red" diesel, which is used for agricultural vehicles and indeed some (older) homes use as heating fuell (although I do not any becasue we have a nationwide network of undergroud natural gas pipelines). This is the very same diesel as you put in the normal cars and trucks however, without the added fuell taxes. Thus it is illegal to use it in your car.

You can also make your own biodiesel by using sunflower oil; per liter very cheap and also very environmental friendly but....because there is no fuelltax on it...illegal to use.

We have a lot "LPG" Liquified Petroleum Gas stations. This is the least expensive fuell you can get; about 0,80/liter. Again; roadtax is much higher for these vehicles plus you will have to invest in your car by installing a LPG installation and tank. This makes it only interesting if you really eat miles and miles.

We see ALOT of "premium" gasolines and diesels in Europe. Every brand has its own.
It is said that it "cleans" the engine, increases performance and saves fuell.
It comes for 95 and diesel
I tried the Premium diesel for 6 months, 30.000 km and found absolutely no difference with the normal diesel.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:46:50 AM by Eucalypta »

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: June 11, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »
Well the first tank through the Jeep with the calibrated speedometer and new tires yielded 16.5MPG.  Although, I filled up with 5-7 gallons still in the tank.  The Jeep usually gets it's best mileage when the tank is almost empty so I suspect it's a bit better.  That's all city driving and mostly 6 mile trips which really isn't good for mileage.  Didn't bother trying to baby it like I would normally have to to get that sort of mileage with the old tires.  Maybe I'll try babying it and see where it goes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:14:18 PM by Jeffy »