Author Topic: OME install ???'s  (Read 2504 times)

01amberfirewv

OME install ???'s
« on: August 29, 2005, 08:04:33 PM »
I just noticed that a few of you run OME kits.  I just picked up some OME springs and shocks. The track-bar relocating bracket will come later but I will be doing the install before I get it (hopefully) so that will probubly be another thread.

The previous owner already told me to revers the rear springs (PS on drivers side and DS on the passengers'). He also told me he would give me a set of control arms off of a ZJ that are about 1/2" longer than mine. This would give me alittle more caster but is it nessessary? I do have a 2.5 so from what I have read I will probubly get close to 3".

Any tips, pics, opinions suggestions welcome.  

StefanBidi

OME install ???'s
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 06:58:13 AM »
Make sure you have the trackbar relocating bracket first.  The springs will move your axle so much that you won't even be able to put the driver side tire on.  Some people have also shaved the spring perches a tad for more clearance.  I didn't, but am thinking about doing it since I only have about 1" clearance between the tire and the perch right now.

01amberfirewv

OME install ???'s
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 07:11:25 AM »
Did you have any trouble installing the trackbar bracket?  I posted a similar thread on JU (http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669181)
and they said that they cause more trouble than good.  I don't like the Idea of having my axle off center though.  I think that I would just use some thread locker on the bolts

StefanBidi

OME install ???'s
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 08:15:08 AM »
I just bolted it up and haven't had any problems so far.  It's hard getting the axle to align with the trackbar, so connect the trackbar before you install the springs, it'll be easier to move the axle from side to side like that.

01amberfirewv

OME install ???'s
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 03:54:00 PM »
Has anyone had any problems with the factory front tracbar?  Won't my front axle move?

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
OME install ???'s
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2005, 02:14:45 AM »
I don't recommend a trackbar relocation bracket on the front of a coil-spring jeep.  These brackets lower the lower end of the track-bar, the opposite direction you should move it to compensate for a lift.  These brackets generally result in bumpsteer, due to the increased angle of the trackbar towards vertical while the steering remains nearer to horizontal.

I recommend simply redrilling the lower track bar mount toward the driver's side, generally .5" to .75" for a 2.5" to 3" lift.

The springs will be easier to install with the track bar disconnected.  Then, with the weight on the suspension, use a ratchet strap from one end of the axle to the frame on the opposite end to center the front axle.  Then determine where the hole in the lower mount should be redrilled to mount up the front track bar.

ZJ control arms should be the same length as TJ arms.  With a 2.5" or 3" lift, you may be able to adjust enough caster into the front axle with just the stock cam bolts.  If not, buy longer lower control arms, generally 1" longer than stock for that lift (16").

StefanBidi

OME install ???'s
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 09:20:24 AM »
I just got an adjustable track bar for the front.  Was cheap and I didn't have to drill anything.  I feel pretty insecure drilling anything on the Jeep, specially since if I mess up, there's no turning back.

Offline jagular7

OME install ???'s
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 09:42:48 PM »
Since you got a new track bar, simple enough to reattach. Once you have it on, adjusting it, you may have to remove it from the frame end. To center the axle after the new springs, measure the same location on both sides. Then adjust 1/2 that number, and recheck for centering. I had to get my steering a few twisty turns to get the front over enough to remount the track arm.
To get the springs installed, I didn't have to remove my track arm. I did have to disconnect the sway bar, and the lower shock mount from the axle to get it to drop far enough.
As for the ZJ arms, the TJ has adjustable lower mounts on the front axle. Once you break those, you can get out of alignment. I don't think it's necessary for the OME springs.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s