Author Topic: 231 to 242 Swap?  (Read 1255 times)

jeepboy21

231 to 242 Swap?
« on: November 05, 2005, 03:12:37 PM »
ok so i am considering swapping in a np 242 in my 93 yj 4cyl locked front and rear. i have done some research and its seems that it is a slightly weaker case. however this is not a concern i am planning on staying with my 31's but am locked front and rear with lickrights. i really would like the ability to have 4wd fulltime b/c i do a fair amount of skiing and wheeling in the sand. they way i understand the 242 works in 4FT is that the driveshafts are not locked in the xfer case and allows some amount of slipping. with this it would be less of a strain on my t case and drivetrain. what i need to know is will this bolt up to an AX-5 (thats what the 4cyl jeep came with right?). and what is the output shaft spline on the 242? 231? havent got a SYE yet. and insight on why this setup wont work or will work or why or why not would be appreciated.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
231 to 242 Swap?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 05:06:37 PM »
The 242 is a 24x series and it considerable larger then a 23x series.  I wouldn't call it weaker, maybe to a 241 but not a 231.  I don't really see why you'd want a 242 though.  In situations when you're driving at in snow or sand, you can drive in 4wd without any problems.  You'll just want to switch when you reach dry pavement.  Problems with the 24x series cases, you'll need two new driveshafts.  There were some SYE kits for 241's but I haven't seem them in a long time.  The case is considerably longer especially with the slip yoke.  So, you'd need to see if anyone still makes the rear seal/housing for 241's.  Next, is the spline count.  They always used 23 spline.  You'll either need to locate a 21 spline or else have one made.  The bolt pattern for the case is the same as the 231.  People have sone the NP241 swaps well before the Rubicon came out.  All have been on 4.0L's though.

I believe Mile Marker once made a viscous coupler that would bolt between the driveshaft and the transfer case but I don't think they still do.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jeepboy21

231 to 242 Swap?
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 07:37:13 PM »
thanks for the info. my main reason for wanting to do this is the ability to turn in snow/ice.  i had the rear locker during ski season last year but am kind a worried about being locked front and rear this year.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
231 to 242 Swap?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 01:25:25 AM »
check the torque ratings, I wouldn't assume the 242 is rated higher than the 231 as I've heard just the opposite.

I recommend running the 231 in the conditions you're worried about, I think you'll be surprised as you should be able to turn just fine.  Keep in mind that the front locker will be less likely to unlock if you accelerate into a turn.