Author Topic: Brake controller  (Read 1165 times)

Jesse-James

Brake controller
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:00:37 PM »
My dolly will be here by the end of the week and it has electric brakes, so I need a controller. Never used one before though I've heard the Prodigy is the one to get. Any advice on buying, installing, using this fandagled contraption?

Offline aw12345

• my jeep picture page
Re: Brake controller
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:08:33 PM »
I have installed several different brands and they all work well now a days they are all inertia based and very easy to adjust. Most trucks especially fords are prewired for them. So installing it should be a snap. The biggest thing is adjusting the sensitivity of the controller to get it to work well.

Art
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE
2004 Jeep Wrangler TJ SE

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 08:33:38 PM »
I've had the Prodigy in 2 different trucks.  Works great and takes about 2 minutes to adjust.   
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Jesse-James

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
Got my toys in the mail, should be ready soon! The controller really looks like it's made well. Just need to find time to install it now.

Jesse-James

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:31:30 PM »
So, I got it a ll hooked up and took it out for a test tow and it feels pretty good other than it's noisy as hell over bumps. Lifted up on the tongue and there is very little tongue weight. I think it's the draw bar, coupler rattling around from lack of weight, am I correct? What can I do to correct this?

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »
Mount a spare tire to the tounge.  Car dollies suck for moving cars with no front overhang.  You wind up with zero or negative tounge weight.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 12:34:28 PM »
Mount a spare tire to the tounge.  Car dollies suck for moving cars with no front overhang.  You wind up with zero or negative tounge weight.
  I see you already sort of have a spare ;)   Maybe mount a toolbox or something else on the tounge to try and up the weight.
Chuck P
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck

www.oldjeep.com

Jesse-James

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 04:01:43 PM »
I think what I am going to do is build a post for a boat winch to stand on (to load the Heep after I break it) and mount the spare off the side with a U-bolt. I was also told that the clip style coupler has an adjustment screw in it. Never knew that.