Author Topic: msd ignition  (Read 1728 times)

braves3331

msd ignition
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:41:50 PM »
has anyone installed an MSD on their jeep? if so, was it worth putting it on, or no? i bought it from a guy who had it on a jeep for a week and he got mad because he said it made his jeep run worse. i was thinking he probably installed it wrong, because i put one on my 67 chevelle last year, and i am very satisfied with it, but wasn't sure if anyone else has had problems with MSD on a jeep. thanks

JBFried67

msd ignition
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:15:41 AM »
I have the MSD ignition and I have not had any problems with the Jeep running any worse, but I also have seen any great gains with it either.

Nicks92jeeper

Re: msd ignition
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 03:58:17 AM »
I know this is old but I installed an MSD ignition coil and I noticed a little smoother idle and accelleration. Not really sure on the MPG though. I think it helps with better plugs. Nothing huge on the gains but it was a fun little project.

Offline grumpygy

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 10:26:17 AM »
It will depend on the year of your jeep, I put on a Accel coil(company said it was a direct fit for my jeep) and it did not match the Ohms needed of the Distributor.  When it got hot the jeep would start missing and backfiring.  Took a while to figure out it was the coil cause I had changed a bunch of stuff at the same time.  Went back to a stock coil and its running fine.
94 YJ, Cool Air intake, 19lb Inj, 4.0 Throttlebody with spacer,  31/10.50/15's

Nicks92jeeper

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:05:35 PM »
I think the accell had 2000 more volts running through it then the MSD. I installed the MSD and it mounted up perfectly. Started up perfectly and ran better. Can't say perfectly though.

Torch_Ind

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I think the accell had 2000 more volts running through it then the MSD. I installed the MSD and it mounted up perfectly. Started up perfectly and ran better. Can't say perfectly though.

I got a accell coil and it's fine. I had the stock bolt on it was fine but I didn't like the connections at the coil so I sent it back and got the bolt on style terminals so it could not vibrate loose. also got the high vibration coil

it's not going to really help a stock set up "unless your previous coil was shot"  you have to run boost or higher then stock compression  to really see any difference