Author Topic: Turbochargers  (Read 94094 times)

swatsniper1s1k

Re: The Official turbo thread
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »
I am trying to decide whether to drop the money into a turbo, supercharger, or inline 6. trying to get the most power possible without jeopardizing vehicle balance with a chevy small block 305. anybody have any knowledge as to what works best? It would be ideal to drop in the small block for power, but not fuel efficiency and weight distribution. although, the 305 bolts up to one of the newer corvette manual transmissions with it being just a little on the tight side of fitting between bell housing and transfer case. so anyone with thoughts about this?

dunklervogel

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2007, 01:58:14 PM »
The problem with any engine swap is the fact that you'll need not only the engine but the entire drivetrain replaced.  The ax-5 will not bolt up nor will it hold up to a larger displacement engine.  Axles are not far behind.  It can really start to get expensive.

The cheapest route appears to be a turbo due to the fact that you can control the amount of boost (hp) you want.  I have been looking into a turbo but one thing that'll make or break the decision is if I have to get a new tranny.  I'm just curious if the ax-5 holds up or not.

swatsniper1s1k

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2007, 04:42:39 PM »
yeah i figured i would have to replace rest of the drive train because i'm not that lucky. i just have reservations about a turbo, i've never installed one before, and i'm doing all the work myself. with superchargers though, i've installed 3, so i'm a bit more familiar with the process. trying to figure out pros and cons of both turbo and supercharger. I know with the supercharger there's no turbo lag, but with the supercharger you cant control boost too easily

dunklervogel

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2007, 09:35:24 PM »
What I've read is for the 2.5l a small turbo is best and will give about 50-70 more hp and it will pretty low boost (easier on the engine, ability to still run cheaper gas) and also because of the small turbo, turbo lag is close to nonexistent because it speeds up quickly..  Now I would just like to hear from people that have actually done it.

Rob the plumber

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:21 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea of using a 12A turbo from a Chrysler Conquest and mounting it where the a/c compressor would be. You can find that stock turbo for $100. Then a flange and some exhaust bends. Plumbing water in and out would be easy and probably $100 in parts. Then i'd use an FMU for extra fuel under boost. I'd probably go with a Vortech type adjustable FMU so you can dial it in with a wideband. I'd run premium fuel and hope it does not rattle. Then you should'nt have to find a way to pull timing without spending a ton.

I figured it would cost $400 or so after combing Ebay for aprts. Then of course you need a welder...

Rob the plumber

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 06:56:07 AM »
I bought that guide the guy sells on Ebay. Definitely worth the money. It is a little cheezy though. Flex pipe for hot side plumbing and PVC for the cold side. You could spend a little cash on some mandrel bends and a welder and have a pretty sweet set-up.
He uses and adjustable MAP sensor and 36# injectors. I wonder how close you could get the fuel curve with a wideband for tuning.
He recommends have the timing "professionally adjusted". Take out 2 degrees.

st.chevrolet

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2007, 01:58:36 AM »
I bought and read the same guide, as was noted the flex pipe is a bit "cheesy" but you have to look at the fact most people don't know how to weld or even have access to a welder. I thought that the guide is written in such a way that someone with very little mechanical ability can Turbo there YJ, for a very realistic budget. I sure most 4wheeler's are in the same situation as me when I say most of our builds done on tight budgets, and in many cases with limited ability due to us not all being mechanics or welders.
Myself I was lucky enough to be a welder/fabricator in my previous career so I will be using welded mandrel bent tube, but I do not think that anyone who has to use anything less should be looked down on.

dunklervogel

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2007, 02:34:26 AM »
Wait... so the guide is for a YJ?  Would everything be the same for a TJ or not?

Rob the plumber

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2007, 05:34:26 AM »
The guide is for a Yj, but it should be the same for a TJ. you can't have A/C either with this set-up.

Rob the plumber

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2007, 05:46:12 AM »
The flexpipe stuff should work fine, and I will probably put mine together this way at home, then take it to work and hard pipe all the plumbing after it is roadworthy.

I picked up a T3 garrett on Ebay for $140, and an FMU for $30. A cheapie intercooler can be had on Ebay easily for $30-$40. You do have to fabricate a mounting bracket though. He gives you an Autocad drawing of the bracket though. a metal fab shop should make it for less than $50. Misc. stuff like the pipe and bends, oil and coolant fittings and lines for the turbo should cost less than $80.

He uses large injectors with an adjustable Map sensor to add fuel. I am going to use Ford #19 injectors and an FMU. That should eliminate any off-boost driveability quirks that you may run into with big injectors and a factory computer.

dunklervogel

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2007, 08:39:41 PM »

Offline chardrc

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
 :roflol: talk about digging yourself a hole
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2007, 12:27:50 PM »
How about a Turbo F-134?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6RYzeGDuE58&amp;rel=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6RYzeGDuE58&amp;rel=1</a>
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tttppp54

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 09:17:56 PM »
any updates on any of the setups?

Offline chardrc

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 06:20:19 AM »
nice. hurricane with a turbo. reminds me of our go devil turbo idea that never got farther than buying the turbo.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr