Author Topic: locker problems continued  (Read 743 times)

jcsanders79

locker problems continued
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:51:48 PM »
I am still having a locker issue, Aussie Locker in a D44 that is not locking up properly.  I took it back the shop that set up my gearing prior to installing the axle and they looked it over and found nothing wrong, I thought that seemed unlikely.  Come to find out they only pulled the cover and measured the center gap of the locker and it was within limits.  They charged me $45 dollars to boot (because it was intalled properly).  So pissed off I came home and pulled the carrier, I found that the center spacer is pushed hard up against the cross shaft no spacing, at least at the contact points.  The D44 cross shaft is opposite of a hour glass figure, you are supposed to measure the gap at the contact point right and not at the thinner spot above where the spacer and the shaft meet right?  If so do I get thinner thrust washers to fix this?

jcsanders79

Re: locker problems continued
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 06:54:57 PM »
Here is an example of the D44 cross shaft

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:29:53 PM »
You're supposed to measure between the two side couplers, the only gap in the locker:

Offline jagular7

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:19:52 AM »
Through Bounty Hunter's picture you can see the locker engaged. The teeth of the inner casings are engaged with the outer casings. The outer casings are where the axle splines contact. You can also see the springs and pins in the picture. The springs keep the locker engaged. When there is enough force to compress the springs (ie rotational differences between axle shafts), the springs collapse and the inner casing's teeth disengage with the outer casing's teeth. Therefore, there has to be enough space between the inner casing and the center pin to the height of the teeth minimally. You may also want to look at the outer casing movement inward. The casing should be limited to the 'c-clip' on the axle. If the locker is disengaging constantly, then look at the springs losing their capability to keep the inner casing engaged against the outer casing.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

jcsanders79

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »
Well the D44 is a non C-clip version, and I am talking about the spacing between the cross shaft and the inner spacers (the pic shows what I am talking about).  Currently ther is no gap, infact the  spacers are jammed against the cross shaft and there is supposed to be a gap between .006 and .02 on each side.  I think I need thinner thrust washers.

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 04:44:20 PM »
Yes, there should be a slight gap to allow for the side couplers to disengage and ratchet.

Sounds like you may have missed a thurst washer behind the side gears during disassembly.  The thrust washers will often stick inside the carrier after pulling the side gears due to the oil.

jcsanders79

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »
Well I didn't install it the first time I let a local Jeep shop that was setting up my ring and pinion do it.  He did not measure the gap between the cross pin.  I pulled the thrust washers and they were BAD.  Holding them together was like putting two bowls together, picked some new ones up and just finished the install.  I did the test and it is much better.  Plus before I could rotate a tire forward and when the drive shaft stopped it the locker would pop and now it doesn't. I will street test it tomorrow to make sure but it already is better than before.