Author Topic: Idle return at stop  (Read 773 times)

cabz

Idle return at stop
« on: July 21, 2007, 07:03:59 AM »
Hello
I have been haveing a problem with the ole YJ lately, whenever I hit the clutch as I am rolling to a stop the idle drops way down . it used to drop down to about 1200 rpm untill the heep stopped rolling then it would drop down to ide speed .
this has been an on again off agian problem that I cant seem to figure out . I have had the jeep on a scanner and cant find anything wrong.
any ideas?

By the way it's a 92 YJ 4banger 5spd :smile:

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
Re: Idle return at stop
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
My 4 banger acts more or less the same way, but i do have noticed that the hotter the day, the more the iddle drops.  Still, it never quits, so I just leave it be.
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
Does your speedo work?

A speedo not working will cause that, as well as a bad/dirty IAC motor on the throttle body.  The TB can usually benefit from a good bench cleaning.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 04:34:06 PM »
In my case, the speedo is working fine (actually, I just changed the gears to 38 when I finished the SYE last weekend), and the TB I cleaned in January when I tried to do the 4.0L TB install (at that time, I even thought the reason the 4.0L was not adjusting the idle correctly was because of the sensors, so I bought new ones; although it still did not idle correctly, I left the new ones in on the 2.5L throttle body - I think the reason for the bad idling is that there is some corrosion on the side of the TB which lets air through).

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

cabz

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 07:02:05 PM »
Nope the speedo is working and I have cleaned the TB  a while ago , I might just replace the IAC . this is an on again off again problem  it seems to come and go with no real pattern.

Some time though the idle will get real low and kinda rough .
I think my injectors have about had it

Jesse-James

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 01:36:50 AM »
I had that problem for a while after my TB swap. Cleaned out the IAC with some carb cleaner and it smoothed out.