Author Topic: weekend jeep project query  (Read 2552 times)

mj_lover

weekend jeep project query
« on: June 02, 2005, 08:44:00 AM »
anybody have any ideas on sandblasting the underside of my mj? need to do alot of work under there, frame repair, sandblasting, etc. and i don't really want to lay under the heep while blasting. if there a way of putting it on its side? the jeep is guted, no engine, no int, no doors. thanks!!
Taco

KS98TJ

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 07:59:31 AM »
The big thing is to make sure you get all the sand out of the nooks and crannies when you're done.  If you don't, the leftover sand will trap moisture and the rust will return.

Good luck!

mj_lover

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 03:10:28 PM »
thanks, i'll keep that in mind.

another question though, how do you go about removing the rust on the inside of the frame? i have a suspision alot of my problem is coming from there.

many thanks

KS98TJ

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 08:19:33 AM »
The only way I've ever heard of that being done is to have the frame acid-dipped.  It's expensive, so it's usually reserved for high-end or just plain high-$$$ restorations.

the idiot magnet

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:59:26 PM »
When I was doing my Mustang I used a rotisserie for doing all the bottom work on my car. Sandblasting that area will require alot of media and tons of clean up time. Try using a wire wheel attached to your grinder or use an air grinder to get most of the crud off. I don't think you are doing a full blown restoration so sandblasting most likely is overkill and tough to get out of all the nooks and crannies. If you have a few rust holes you could isolate them and use a spot blaster on them. Once it's stripped get a good quality epoxy or etching primer on it ASAP to prevent flashing.

BTW the rotisserie attaches to the front and rear of the car and I could spin it just like the wheel of fortune wheel.

mj_lover

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 07:01:47 PM »
hmm, i should look more into this rotisserie, could be usefull. and, actually, it ia very close to a full rebuild, there is nothing left on the truck,all sheet metal that can be removed is going, most of the interior is already out, and the enging bay has nothing either. i'm sick of rust, so all rust will go, or as much as possible.  time is not an issue anymore, as this is now my play truck.

this is what it looked like 1/2 way thru the winter.

hope this brings up some crazy scheme that hasn't crossed my mind or been mentiond, and cheap(as much as possible, poor college student)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 01:33:40 PM »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »
I saw them use a rotisserie on Trucks when they LineX'd project Crazy Horse.