Author Topic: Redline in the AX-5 to smooth out the tranny  (Read 4748 times)

01amberfirewv

Redline in the AX-5 to smooth out the tranny
« on: September 15, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »
for those who haven't changed there fluid for a while I recommend redline fluid.  The first time I didn't fill it up all of the way and it seemed to make a minimal improvement.  I toped it off yesterday and now it shifts like budd'a

Oilsmoke

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 05:03:24 PM »
GM Synchromesh Is great stuff also.
My Ax5 shifted like a Stiff oldman. Drained the old out and put in the Smesh and right off the bat you felt it after about week it was even smoother.
Part Number 12345349 Is also at any Gm dealer for that Got to get it done NOW!! .

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 06:22:40 PM »
You can also use Penzoil Syncromesh.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

jwrape

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 08:16:32 AM »
I ordered Redline online and hope it quiets my AX15 down a little. Crossing my fingers.
I tried finding all these oils on the shelf at all 4 local auto parts stores and finally had to order it online because AZ and Advance, Oreilly's, and pepboys stopped carrying all these.SUX!

Offline bestos

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 12:56:51 PM »
ordered mine today for both my mazda3 and my jeep.  cant wait!

got that little screw on clear rubber top too.

Grundar32

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 07:40:59 AM »
what type of redline did you guys get there are a few types

Offline bestos

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 07:42:20 AM »
i was told to get MT-90.  that is what was recommended for my Mazda from the mazda3forums and 90 is what i was recommended here in another thread.

http://www.4bangerjp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=599

jwrape

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 09:51:33 AM »
Just changed to Redline last night. Shifts MUCH better. I actually didn't have to fight to put it into 2nd gear this morning.

Offline bestos

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2005, 09:53:43 AM »
no joke, my 2nd gear is a PUNK in cold weather.  need to do some trimming too, 1" BL but never did the trimming they recommend.  i only ordered 3 quarts though.  is that enough,  one mentioned 3.5 to be safe, how much did you put in?

jwrape

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2005, 10:56:21 AM »
Quote from: "bestos"
no joke, my 2nd gear is a PUNK in cold weather.  need to do some trimming too, 1" BL but never did the trimming they recommend.  i only ordered 3 quarts though.  is that enough,  one mentioned 3.5 to be safe, how much did you put in?

I actually put in all 4 quarts.
Before I put in this Redline I was running 4.5 quarts to keep the noise down, so 4 quarts sounded good to me. 3.5 to full and over fill a little for good mearsure. If it will hold 4.5 quarts with no draw backs then a half quart extra won't hurt.
Now it's ten times better. That Redline stuff is prolly what's gonna save my tranny(knock on wood). It doesn't have hardly any gear chatter at all anymore. That stuff is Miracle Oil in its own right.

Bought some more for my Dad's conversion i am doing on his Yj as well.
I don't think I will run anything else. I am actually prolly gonna run it in my Mustang as well.

Krod

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »
I also did the MT-90 in mine....seriously a night and day difference.  Second gear snaps right in, the syncro's are all working ten times better too.  I also put in a full 4 quarts.  A little more than the recomendation of 3.3 for the ax5, but it works wonders.

Offline bestos

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 06:14:56 AM »
mine should be here today from a store here in MD.   getting off work late, will probably be doing it with the temp in teh Teens tonight, but i dont like wasting time!

jwrape

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 12:28:56 PM »
Quote from: "bestos"
mine should be here today from a store here in MD.   getting off work late, will probably be doing it with the temp in teh Teens tonight, but i dont like wasting time!

It took me 30 minutes to drain and replace mine. It's VERY easy and quick fix for gear troubles. Good upgrade.

Offline bestos

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 12:47:17 PM »
took me over an hour cause i only had one of those stupid fill tubes that screw on, had to use redline bottle with electrical tape wrapped at threads to get a good seal and then poke hole in top for air - kinda frustrating, but got it done.  shifts much cleaner - still need to do a little work with the stick bcause of the 1" body i believe.  but this tranny fluid is great stuff

bwhte

Redline MT90
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »
Got my MT90 in and plan on changing my fluid also.  Wondering, did any of you change out you filter also?   Is it necessary to change the filter at the same time?