Author Topic: 84 Cherokee 2.5l carburated  (Read 1052 times)

rmcracing

84 Cherokee 2.5l carburated
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:53:32 PM »
I have an old 84 Cherokee with the 2.5l carb engine.  The Jeep has been sitting for serveral years, and I started to work on it to get it running again.  I have it running, although it does not idle very well.  The vehicle will never see on the road service again, so I'm wondering if any of you can give me guideance on removing/plugging all non essential vacuum lines, solenoids, vac switches etc.  I rebuilt the carburator, so even though it's a feedback one, I don't want to have to buy another one.  I'd like to ditch the air cleaner and put a small simple chrome one on there.  Really just clean up the entire engine compartment area.

I also have a yellow/black wire on something bolted on the inner fender next to the heater blower.  The wire is broken, but dont know what the device is or where the other half of the wire is.

Thanks.

Mr_Random

Re: 84 Cherokee 2.5l carburated
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 03:32:30 AM »
While you'll probably find some people here experienced with normal Carbs, I wouldn't expect anyone to know about the electronically controlled carb in the XJ.

I could only help with the TBI or MPI system (even then, to a limited extent). All I know is that alot of people simply strip ALL of the electronic control, plug the EGR stuff, and put a standard carb on instead. Usually they'll get alot more power, with similar gas mileage (bad either way, haha), but it'll be tricky, I'm sure...

I've seen water heated two barrel carb accepting intake manifolds, as well as plenty of two barrel carbs to match, but don't know many details there...

Either way, good luck!

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 11:02:33 PM »
I have an old 84 Cherokee with the 2.5l carb engine.  The Jeep has been sitting for serveral years, and I started to work on it to get it running again.  I have it running, although it does not idle very well.  The vehicle will never see on the road service again, so I'm wondering if any of you can give me guideance on removing/plugging all non essential vacuum lines, solenoids, vac switches etc.  I rebuilt the carburator, so even though it's a feedback one, I don't want to have to buy another one.  I'd like to ditch the air cleaner and put a small simple chrome one on there.  Really just clean up the entire engine compartment area.

I also have a yellow/black wire on something bolted on the inner fender next to the heater blower.  The wire is broken, but dont know what the device is or where the other half of the wire is.

Thanks.

You'll want to look on the net for the 'Nutter Bypass'.  You'll find stuff on the I6 but people have done it to the 2.5L as well.  Or you could just swap out the carter for a Weber.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

bipolarmorgan

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
You'll want to look on the net for the 'Nutter Bypass'.  You'll find stuff on the I6 but people have done it to the 2.5L as well.  Or you could just swap out the carter for a Weber.

do you think swapping the carter for a motorcraft will work?

jmczzz

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:37:31 PM »
I got the same thing on an 85  xj the "professionally" rebuilt YFA won't idle down below 3k it stalls at 1/2 throttle,
and sticks at wide open.
I have just let it sit for a while hoping for a new idea of what to do next. I guess I mess with it this wk end. When I got the xj it had a old rochester 1 bbl and needed gas poured down it to get it started, I have rebuilt the rochester and think I'll put it back on and see if it talk to me this time. any ideas?