Author Topic: beadlock  (Read 1592 times)

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: beadlock
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »
^ That is odd. ^

Is there some safety reason why you shouldn't run them on the street? It's something I am planning for and don't like the price of the Staun internals.

Think about it for a second.  32 tiny bolts mounted in single shear and torqued to only around 20 ft lbs.  There is absolutely nothing supporting the bead.  It doesn't take much to get those bolts moving up and down a tiny amount.  Not something I would trust my life to on the highway.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 08:36:52 PM »
^ That is odd. ^

Is there some safety reason why you shouldn't run them on the street? It's something I am planning for and don't like the price of the Staun internals.

It's not unheard of to shear the heads off a ring bolt.  Once one goes, the rest seem to go like popcorn.  The ring is the only thing holding the outer bead to the wheel.  Once that goes, the tire comes off the wheel.  On a trail, it's not too big of a deal but if you're running at higher speeds, it could be catastrophic.  Checking the bolts periodically, would be a good idea on a daily driver.  More maintenance then standard wheels or three piece wheels like the Hutchinson.

Oh another reason why most beadlocks aren't DOT approved is for liability.  Kinda like how bumper companies say they're for 'looks only', they're protecting themselves.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2008, 08:50:44 PM »
I'll have to do some thinkin'. Maybe I'll have to fork for the internals.