Author Topic: Installing a Hand Throttle  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
Installing a Hand Throttle
« on: November 19, 2005, 03:59:14 PM »
The hand throttle also known as the poor mans gears.  The hand throttle allows fine control of the throttle when the foot pedal is too sensitive.

If you do not know how to work the brake and throttle with your right foot it becomes difficult to jump off the clutch and brake without punching the throttle.  This usually causes the Jeep to lunge forward and slide because of a lack of traction.  To help the driver out, a hand throttle is used.  This allows the driver to use both the left and right foot on the pedals while working the throttle with the hand throttle.

Why does this usually happen?  More then likely, it's because the vehicle does not have low enough gears to idle up.  The hand throttle makes up (a little) for not having low enough gears and allowing the driver it idle up obstacles without sliding.

So what's needed?  The easiest thing to use is a bike gear shifter.  I have also seen bike brake levers and choke levers used.  Bike parts are probably the cheapest option.  The levers usually cost under $10 for a cheap one.  It doesn’t need to be fancy.  You'll also need a length of cable and a sleeve that will reach from your shifter to the throttle body.  You'll also need a crimp to make a loop on the end of the cable.  I have seen some people use a electronic loop connector but it's easier to just loop the cable and use a washer and a clip to hold it to the throttle body.

The cable will need to be routed through the shifter boot under the Jeep and go up the firewall.  This is easier then trying to drill a hole though the firewall and route the cable more directly.  The cable will clip onto the top of the valve cover where the cruise control cable would be.  The sleeve will need to be held in place as to not slide with the cable when the level is moved.  The simplest way is to attach the sleeve to the cable retained bracket that the foot pedal uses.  Zip-ties or a proper sleeve end can be used.  The ends can also be found at a bike shop.

Once that's done, you're set.  I'd advise leaving the clicker in the shifter.  This allows some resistance so the lever doesn't slip.  It's probably a good idea not to use it as cruise control even though many do.  Also be aware that the cable could get stuck.  Other then that, you'll be fine. :wink:

Oh and it should also be noted that a hand throttle can be used with a winch or OBA to keep the engine RPM's over idle.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:39:40 PM by Jeffy »
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."