Author Topic: 90 YJ clutch issue, need help!  (Read 1107 times)

j.p.sloan

90 YJ clutch issue, need help!
« on: December 05, 2005, 06:30:12 PM »
Hi All; I am new to this site, first time posting.  I have a 90 YJ 2.5L wrangler.  I am experiencing problems with the clutch, I believe it is the slave cylinder.  The question I have is, is the slave something that can be changed out, or do I need to replace the clutch assembly?  Where is a good retail place to get parts such as this?

I will describe the problem in a little more detail in case I am mistaken and some of you guys have a better answer for me.

It feels like I have lost about half the length of stroke on the clutch pedal.  feels slack til about half way down.  have to push all the way tight to the floor to shift.  often it doesn't open up enough to allow smooth shifting, have to push to hard to get in gear, grinds, especially in reverse or down shifting.  Once, it wouldn't allow me to take it out of gear, and kept rolling after I pushed in the clutch.  I had this issue with my 96 Ford truck 2 years ago and I ended up caving in my garage door before I could get the truck shut off.  :shock: :oops:   I'm not parking near anything til I get it fixed to avoid a re-occurence of that episode.

Please tell me what ya'll think, and where to get replacement parts.  I read about getting a replacement bell housing off a Dakota and changing to an external slave, but I think I just want to get this fixed for right now.

Thanks for any help you can give me; John Sloan (newbie)