Author Topic: Rack ? / Help  (Read 2818 times)

Offline smashcoast

Rack ? / Help
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »
I am thinking of building a rack for my Jeep. Actually my buddy will and it will cost about $200 for steel so it will save a lot of money.

I want to put my spare tire up there along with Hi-Jack. Also I will mount 2 Gerry Cans on the tailgate.

So my question is how practicle are racks and do they have any major concerns when wheeling?

Also if anyone has the Kargo master or wilderness rack can you get me some pics of the mounts to the windsheild and to the rear of the Jeep.

Thanks.
Building this Jeep on the Cheap! Just like Chrysler!

jcsanders79

Re: Rack ? / Help
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:50:20 PM »
My sister bought a Jeep with a rack and a hard top and it made it steer like quick releases are undone.  Very spongy, I wouldn't waste your time and money.  I'm bias since I hate the way the look to boot, so?

drunkencityworker

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
i boughy a garvin used cheap. changed center of gravity and made it to tall. spare up there is allot of top heavy weight. so i sold and bought a bumper w swing and reciever for trailer in future

drunkencityworker

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 04:53:05 PM »
guys at local jeep club laughed about how many times it wld get hung up on trees and such when on tight trails.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:29 PM »
With a roof rack, you really need to take a lot of stuff into consiterations.  You really don't want heavy stuff up high.  It will raise your CG which will cause a lot more body roll.

If you drive off camber, it can get in the way if there is a tree or rock face on one side.

Trees can be overcome by using guide wires running off the front top corners to the front bumper or fenders.

If you plan on putting a lot of light stuff then it will b good for that.  Also keep in mind that your gas mile wills start to suffer the more stuff you put up there because it makes the jeep taller as well as there are usually a lot of places for the air to catch unless you put a tarp over it.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
I wouldn't do it. The reasons have already been listed.
When I need more storage for long trips I throw this on for the ligher stuff like clothes,jackets,pillows,sleeping bags.

It holds alot and weighs just a couple pounds. Plus they are cheap. Something like $20 at Wallyworld.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:40:45 PM »
Ok, that's what I was wanting to hear. Thanks

Offline jagular7

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:46:13 PM »
Why not look into a trailer similar to a luggage trailer for a Jeep. There are several companies out there that build a Jeepin' trailer that would work well for a cargo offroad trailer. You can even go with matching wheels. You could look for an old M416 and start from there, go mix/match using a cargo, pwc, or utility trailer as a basis, go with aftermarket Jeepin' trailer, or go custom from the start.
I've started a luggage trailer build starting off with a basic ~4x4 HF trailer, adding a 17cuft yard cart, lengthened the tongue and started to paint it.

I've got a couple pup tents to use as a cover when I'm finished putting it together. It will be used for hotel runs where my 2 kids come with me wheeling. The back seat fills quickly with cold and soft coolers, jackets, pillows, night packs, etc.
Jagular7
97 SE - Rubbered and locked for fun
94 SE - stock, collecting parts for 37s

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »
could just get the rack for all the light stuff, including the jack. This would open up room for the heavier stuff (like your tire or tools) to be carried inside and on the tailgate. But like many have said, tire on top would prob affect the stability in certain situations, but more often then not it would probably snag and drag along every single overhanging branch and limb on the trail.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 03:14:31 AM »
could just get the rack for all the light stuff, including the jack. This would open up room for the heavier stuff (like your tire or tools) to be carried inside and on the tailgate. But like many have said, tire on top would prob affect the stability in certain situations, but more often then not it would probably snag and drag along every single overhanging branch and limb on the trail.

i'm sure he figured it out after 2-1/2 years  :wall:
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 11:26:26 AM »
i'm sure he figured it out after 2-1/2 years  :wall:
ha, it was late and didnt bother to check when it said it hadn't been active in over 60 days. But you never know, some projects just get pushed to the wayside and sit and sit lol
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline smashcoast

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
If you check member projects you will see the rack I built. Haven't done much since, been spending all ,my time and money golfing lately.

I'm gonna do the drop down tailgate and flush tail lights. Maybe do all new arms and heavy duty currie tie rod and draglink. Call it good till my 33's wear out.

Offline easyup

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
To each his own, I love my safari rack.  It adds 9" to height but some guys with big lifts/tires are as tall, it holds well protected driving lights, rear light, and a shovel, carries sheets of plywood, pipe, mattresses, whatever I need around the house.  I have a hard top so no noise problems but they can be LOUD on a soft top.  Heaviest thing I carried on a rough trail was a deer and had no problems but would not want the 500#s it is rated for up there in rough stuff.