Author Topic: Need a muffler?  (Read 1860 times)

Offline SKI BOY

Need a muffler?
« on: July 13, 2009, 05:40:55 PM »
My Flowmaster rusted out at the converter connection, so I did a little web surfing and found a Magnaflow Turbo XL for only $46 (inc. S/H), Stainless steel with lifetime warranty. Installed it this past weekend and the fit-up was very good! Actually sits about an inch higher than the FM! It has a mellow, throaty tone and seems to flow well! Not the prettiest muffler,(the internal baffle welds show thru the case),but it's fully welded and 16 ga SS. And it's on the underside of a Wrangler, so the only time it should show is on a rollover!!

Anyone in need can check it out @ DotComParts.com or on Amazon, however they charge an extra $5 fee to the vendor!
Ski Boy

" It ain't broke til you can't fix it no more "

97 TJ, AT, 31'S ON AR CAST WHEELS, 4.0L TB / TBS, JET CHIP, CUSTOM HI-FLOW INTAKE, ON BOARD AIR, ELECT. RAD. FAN, SOFT TOP!

Offline TahoeYJ

• How can I reech theese kids?
Re: Need a muffler?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 03:37:05 PM »
That's what I'm running  :smokes: I love the sound, I originally had a tailpipe but when I had to redo the exhaust again, I had it turned down. It's been like that for over a year and it's too loud for me (I'm young, I shouldn't mind loud  :fitz:) so next week I'm finally going to have a tailpipe slapped on  :hump: It's much more subtle with the exhaust going out the rear

But good choice brotha'  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:37:34 PM by TahoeYJ »
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 04:02:48 PM »
That's what I'm running  :smokes: I love the sound, I originally had a tailpipe but when I had to redo the exhaust again, I had it turned down. It's been like that for over a year and it's too loud for me (I'm young, I shouldn't mind loud  :fitz:) so next week I'm finally going to have a tailpipe slapped on  :hump: It's much more subtle with the exhaust going out the rear

But good choice brotha'  :thumbsup:

I was wondering how loud yours was/is. I am glad I have mine going out back.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Jesse-James

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
I'd love to use it, but I need something that will fit IN the TC skid with a 1" BL. One of the few things that suck about a triangulated link setup is no room for exhaust.

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 02:28:53 AM »
I was wondering how loud yours was/is. I am glad I have mine going out back.
It's much mo' betta' now. I went to the muffler shop and had a tailpipe put on today. I can acrually hear my motor again  :thumbsup:
92 YJ. Lifted, 4:88's, 9" rear, 4 wheel disks, some armor, some audio, 35" KM2's, and more

mikeymuy

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 10:32:36 AM »
sorry to jack tread but i need a muffler dont want to be too loud but better then stock sound? is that mangnaflow good sound?

Offline SKI BOY

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
sorry to jack tread but i need a muffler dont want to be too loud but better then stock sound? is that mangnaflow good sound?

Yeah, I really like the mellow tone! My TJ had the flowmaster on it when I bought it, so I was just used to it's loud sound. I think the Magnaflow is way above a stock unit and I don't think you can beat the price for a fully welded, SS muffler, IMO!!
Ski Boy

" It ain't broke til you can't fix it no more "

97 TJ, AT, 31'S ON AR CAST WHEELS, 4.0L TB / TBS, JET CHIP, CUSTOM HI-FLOW INTAKE, ON BOARD AIR, ELECT. RAD. FAN, SOFT TOP!

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51:42 PM »
X2, I slapped my hard top on today since I'm headed out of town tomorrow for almost a week (gas mileage with top makes it worth putting it back on!) and when cruising at 55-60 I can't even hear the exhaust over my radio. I love it!  :weee:

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »
i went with dynomax and i pretty much regret it. more noise than performance (if there is any at all) shoulda saved some cash and just went with banks headers and cat back
just my 2 cents
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
The sound alone won't get it done... The performance should always be considered first in choosing the right muffler...
There are lots of mufflers who just don't perform well but sounds pretty aggressive....
yup....but i figured that out basically after it was mounted...oh well, live and learn.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
I noticed a slight difference when I did my first Magnaflow XL on my rig. But my stock exhaust had leaks everywhere, so I was bound to gain some power. I'm on my second one and plan on keeping it for a while. It's much more civilized with the tail pipe back on.

Offline chrisfranklin

• 4BangerJP.com® Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
i went with dynomax and i pretty much regret it. more noise than performance (if there is any at all) shoulda saved some cash and just went with banks headers and cat back
just my 2 cents

I thought I was the only one who thought the Dynomax was way loud.  Jp magazine said it was one of the quietest they tested.  Maybe they are talking a different model.
'94 YJ S 5spd, Borla Exhaust, CarSound Cat., PS Ceramic-coated Headers, Airraid intake, 62mm TB, Intake Manifold bored/ceramic-coated, 19lb injectors, Sharp's Adj. FPR, MeanGreen Starter, D30 Aussie locker, 31" Destination MTs, Warn XD9000, Cibie headlights, armor

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
I thought I was the only one who thought the Dynomax was way loud.  Jp magazine said it was one of the quietest they tested.  Maybe they are talking a different model.
i think it's a garbage pipe...i put mine on and within a week it looked like it had a year of wear on it cause it's not stainless like banks or other models

Offline TahoeYJ

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:23 AM »
i think it's a garbage pipe...i put mine on and within a week it looked like it had a year of wear on it cause it's not stainless like banks or other models
If it wasn't for all the grease my u-joints have thrown all over mine, it'd look great. For the most part it does, it's just that grease... It's going on 2 years old now too. Granted I don't run through mud and if I did I wouldn't leave it on there (Not saying you do), but the environment my rig sees probably plays a role in that

Offline stan98tj

• Wheeling New England
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 09:57:48 PM »
in my opinion, learning from my lesson- an exhaust system is one of those mods that you may as well pay for quality and do it right throughout..be it doing a banks system headers back, or a magnaflow cat back or a borla-bsaically, dont cheap out cause that's just $$$ down the drain. if i could do it again id save for the banks headers and banks cat back.