Author Topic: 33" tire in the stock carrier  (Read 3213 times)

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree MechanicŪ
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
33" tire in the stock carrier
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
OK, so how many of you are running your rigs with this set-up? 

I noticed that even with jsut a few days of having changed my tires, the tailgate is starting to act up a bit (I kind of have to lift the tire for it to close porperly).  I have not yet extended the bumpstops (I have driven the Jeep less than a week's worth, and about 40 miles per day), but now I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering the BetTop Tire Carrier (I already have an aftermarket bumper, and it does not have a tire carrier (and I will not spend money twice on rear bumpers).  The only thing is that I think it will end up interefering with my CB antena mount (passanger side taillight mount).

By the way, anyone with experience with the BestTop setup?

Felipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Jesse-James

Re: 33" tire in the stock carrier
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 08:18:53 PM »
The tailgate should be able to handle the weight if the hinges are good. Make sure the tire is sitting solid against the rubber stops or you will tear the metal on the carrier and tweak the tailgate. Space them out with PVC or something if need be. Check out Jeffy's, I believe he's running a 35 on it. I tore mine up with a 31" from not having it sit against the stops. Getting it not to move is the key.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
I've thought about getting a Bestop carrier since it's a good design.  The only downside is that you need to modify it ig you have a body lift.  The design gives you the flexibility to but whatever bumper you want.

I still don't have a tire carrier though.  I was setup to buy a custom bumper carrier but I ended up not getting it since I wanted to keep the Jeep light.  I've had my 34x9.5R15 Interco SS on the rear since 2003.  The door hasn't sagged but you to have to lift it a little when closing.  It's not a big deal though.  I use 2" ABS which is black.

I'll eventually build a carrier or have one built.  I want to see if I can offset my tire which no one does.  Then I want to move my taillights to the bumper, like a Sami.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »
That would look great, I know TNT will sell corner armor with no cutouts if you need to cover the holes. I'm ordering them down the road like that to accommodate the tails I run and to convert to a TJ fuel filler.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:16:07 AM »
On my tailgate, you need to lift it as well; I do plan to get the ABS to extend the bumpstops, but Home Depot had no ABS, so I'll try Lowe's.  I'm still considering the tire carrier, but the fact that I have to redo the whole CB antenna mount has me thinking about it...  Still, I like the design, and it's rated up to a 3" tire (I am running 33's, and I doubt I'll ever get over 35").
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Jesse-James

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 07:55:01 AM »
Have you looked into TJ hinges? From what I've read only one hole needs to be drilled and they are stronger. Would be a cheap way to put off the carrier for a while.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Have you looked into TJ hinges? From what I've read only one hole needs to be drilled and they are stronger. Would be a cheap way to put off the carrier for a while.

I'll start with this ($60 investment with shipping!) and see where I go from there; the main issue at this time is time, as I'll be shipping the Jeep to Panama in August...  SO if the TJ hinges dont do the job, I'll have to buy the carrier and ship it to Panama, and since I will be in Costa Rica, God only knows when I'll be able to install it!

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
i have that exact tire carrier. It helps a lot and it looks quite clean, but i also have the TJ hinges. it is convenient since your tailgate would open just like a stock one. Jeffy is right, if you have a body lift there is a bracket that reinforces the bottom mount and that will need to be extended - i removed it and never got around to modify it - i had no aftereffects due to that (paint cracking or anything) and i have it installed for about 4 years now. I also added one of their over tire racks, when i did that the setup was not as strong as before, if you plan to do add something similar i'd say the besttop carrier is not the best choice, if you only plan to have the tire on the tailgate will work just fine for a 33''. I had to extend the bottom bumpstop as on my 95YJ was too short, but might have been that the previous owner replaced it to fit the 31'' tire & rim that had stock backspacing.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 03:03:52 PM »
I'll start with this ($60 investment with shipping!) and see where I go from there; the main issue at this time is time, as I'll be shipping the Jeep to Panama in August...  SO if the TJ hinges dont do the job, I'll have to buy the carrier and ship it to Panama, and since I will be in Costa Rica, God only knows when I'll be able to install it!

Well, the order is placed for 2 TJ hinges; $52 total with shipping...  We'll see how that works out.  This weekend I will extend the bump stops as well.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »
Unless you're opening and closing the rear tailgate all the time, you shouldn't have to swap out the hinges.  Like I said, I haven't any any issues with mine and it's been there for a few years.

Also, if you remove the hinges, you'll find that there is no paint behind them.  The tailgate was panted with the hinges on so you will need to make sure to paint both the tailgate and the hinges well.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

drunkencityworker

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:22 PM »
tj hinges bolt in. once u get passed the torx. hope to see some in action pics of your rig.  its way too clean. lol.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel BlowerŪ
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
Also, if you remove the hinges, you'll find that there is no paint behind them.  The tailgate was panted with the hinges on so you will need to make sure to paint both the tailgate and the hinges well.
the TJ ones are bigger so it will cover the unpainted portion, but my heart stopped when i took the first one off :yikes: until i realized you can't see it once the other ones are in  

EDIT:
tj hinges bolt in. once u get passed the torx. hope to see some in action pics of your rig.  its way too clean. lol.

i remember drilling one extra hole for each hinge, but i guess jfrabat can confirm that once he has his installed. I think the part on the body is wider than the stock YJ hinge but can't say for sure.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:49:56 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
the TJ ones are bigger so it will cover the unpainted portion, but my heart stopped when i took the first one off :yikes: until i realized you can't see it once the other ones are in  

EDIT:
i remember drilling one extra hole for each hinge, but i guess jfrabat can confirm that once he has his installed. I think the part on the body is wider than the stock YJ hinge but can't say for sure.
His problem will be that he essentially unsealed it.  Being in the Tropics, I would treat both sides so there is no chance of rust.

Offline jfrabat

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:05:42 PM »
I have a couple of cans of the Jeep paint (it is slightly different shade because of fading of the Jeep paint, but it is the same original color).  I intend to paint the hinges and the unpainted part of the tailgate once I do install the hinges.   By the way, are the TJ hinges really that much stronger?  I'll install them anyway (already bought them!) but just wondering, as I have not seen any write ups about this...

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:00:35 PM »
I have a couple of cans of the Jeep paint (it is slightly different shade because of fading of the Jeep paint, but it is the same original color).  I intend to paint the hinges and the unpainted part of the tailgate once I do install the hinges.   By the way, are the TJ hinges really that much stronger?  I'll install them anyway (already bought them!) but just wondering, as I have not seen any write ups about this...
Well, 1995.5 and TJ hinges are larger.  Are they stronger?  Well, I wouldn't do anything I wouldn't do with my stock YJ hinges.