Author Topic: Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud (rear)  (Read 7026 times)

david97tj

Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud (rear)
« on: June 17, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »
Good Day,

Any tips for removing a broken exhaust manifold stud?  The rear stud on my 97TJ 2.5L has been broken for a while. I am putting on a Banks Torque Tube and I need to fix it before I can finish the job.  Currently, my plans are Lots of PB Blaster, reverse drill bits, dremel tool with flex line (or right angle drill), easyouts, cutting oil, and lots of patience.  I am hoping the PB Blaster will do it's job and the stud will break free without much effort.  I plan to remove the fender to get better access.  I don't have access to a welder.

Any other thoughts, success stories, or tips to make it as painless as possible?  

I plan to document the process and setup a web page for it.

Thanks,
David

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 01:18:21 PM »
I'd probably go with PB or CLP Break-Free then a reverse cut drill bit.  EZ Outs will usually break off and then you've got the EZ Out to dig out also.

Once you get it part way you might be able to slit the end with the dremel and use a screw driver to get the rest out.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

david97tj

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 05:22:55 AM »
Jeffy, thanks!  That is the one thing about the project this weekend that has me concerned. The rest of the exhaust work should go pretty easy.

Cheers,
David

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:52:31 PM »
Hurry, if you're under 8yr/80K miles the dealership will fix it for free.

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 12:11:02 AM »
It's actually only a TSB and not a recall.  I forget if they have extended the warranty on it or not.  Since his Jeep is a 97 he's at his 8 year limit so it's up in the air if they would fix it.
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

tumbo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 07:36:33 AM »
David97tj,  I've been living with the same problem.  Thinking about the banks headder myself.  wear did you get the replacement stud?  dealership?  Keep us updated on the project.

david97tj

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 09:34:54 AM »
Quote from: "Bounty Hunter"
Hurry, if you're under 8yr/80K miles the dealership will fix it for free.

Hahaha! Thanks, unfortunately the mileage is at 120K.

david97tj

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:33 AM »
Quote from: "tumbo"
David97tj,  I've been living with the same problem.  Thinking about the banks headder myself.  wear did you get the replacement stud?  dealership?  Keep us updated on the project.

I will post a write-up on my website.  I have taken alot of pictures.   I bought the replacement stud(s) and bolts at the dealership.  As far as I can tell, they are the only ones that sell them.

Saturday, I got the cat and cat-back installed at a muffler shop.  I decided to take it there, because I didn't have the tools for that.  Good thing I did.  He had to do a little modification to get the cat welded on the head pipe (head pipe brace retained).  I had everything welded.

Saturday afternoon I spent pulling off the intake and exhaust manifolds.  Sunday, I spent trying every method I could find on getting the stud out.  No such luck.  I ended up breaking a bolt extractor in the broken stud.  At this point it was time to pull the head.  

Actually, pulling the head would have been quicker at that point than trying to mess with the broken stud.   I wasted an entire day working with the broken stud.  

Monday, I pulled the head and took it to the machine shop.  $45 and the stud and extractor are gone.  They have a machine that uses electricity to melt out the extractor, then I think they drill out the broken stud and put in a heli-coil.

I should have it back on Wednesday; Thursday, I plan to reinstall everything, so Friday I am back on the road.

If anyone attempts to pull the head, be sure to go buy the Chrysler Service manual for your Jeep.  I bought mine not long after I got my Jeep in 1997.   It has the procedures for removing and installing the head.  I stressed about pulling the head Sunday night (could not sleep).  However, when I woke up Monday morning, I knew exactly what I was going to do.  I had the head off the Jeep in about 2 hours.

One piece of advice, for the head bolts on a 97 TJ 2.5L you need a 18" Flex Handle (breaker bar?) with half inch adapter and a half inch 9/16" deep well 12pt socket, make sure they are good quality (Snap-on, Craftsman, etc).  It makes breaking the bolts loose EASY!  Short socket wrenches do not offer enough leverage.  The bolts are torqued to 110 ft-lbs.

This has nickeled and dimed me to death with adapters, sockets and tools.  I told my wife I was going to open an account with the Snap-On guy!  HAHAHA!  

As I said, I will post a write-up.  I will keep everyone posted.

delkan99

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005, 09:36:49 AM »
I just extracted the same stud last month.
I had to remove the head,
I tried to to use collet extractor's, no luck,
ihad to drill out the stud,
when I got to about the inside diameter,
I was able to force the rest of the stud through the hole,
You can buy the studs at auto parts stores,
there just not listed on there comp.
you can't get the plastic washer.
that I think is only available through the dealer.
If you buy the head stud through the dealer.
it'll cost you.
the fourstud's are $19.50 each.

tumbo

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »
Sound like it might be a little over my head. never pulled a head off before. last year a local muffler shop offered to drill it out and replace all the studs for $100.  I think i'll go that route since i don't have everything i need and it'll only take a day.  but let us know what you think about that headder.

tam

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2005, 12:53:44 PM »
Well if you can get them to replace that one for under $100, I'd say go for it.  You'll want to pick up the replacement stud though.  I believe they are stainless steel now.

tumbo

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2005, 01:21:25 PM »
Thats what i was thinking. no hassles.
the stainless studs are from  the dealership?  Part#?

thanks,
tam

david97tj

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2005, 02:31:58 PM »
Quote from: "delkan99"
I just extracted the same stud last month.
I had to remove the head,
I tried to to use collet extractor's, no luck,
ihad to drill out the stud,
when I got to about the inside diameter,
I was able to force the rest of the stud through the hole,
You can buy the studs at auto parts stores,
there just not listed on there comp.
you can't get the plastic washer.
that I think is only available through the dealer.
If you buy the head stud through the dealer.
it'll cost you.
the fourstud's are $19.50 each.

I bought my studs, bolts, washers, spacers, etc. from the Jeep dealership and the studs were only $2.xx a piece and the bolts were only a $1.xx a piece.  Not terribly expensive.  I just bought 2 head bolts from the dealership and they were only $4.04 a piece.  The head gasket was $33.

I bought the spacers but I don't think I need them.  They are for the factory header and I don't think they will work for my Banks Torque tube.

david97tj

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2005, 02:39:56 PM »
Sound like it might be a little over my head. never pulled a head off before. last year a local muffler shop offered to drill it out and replace all the studs for $100.  I think i'll go that route since i don't have everything i need and it'll only take a day.  but let us know what you think about that headder.

tam

I will do that.

david97tj

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2005, 03:00:12 PM »
Thats what i was thinking. no hassles.
the stainless studs are from  the dealership?  Part#?

thanks,
tam

I am looking at my invoice and this is what I have

6036193-AA STUD NONE 9004007 $1.60 each
6036171-AA NUT&WA NO 18050022 $3.95 each

I suspect you won't need the plastic spacer.  I think that is to keep the OEM header properly centered during installation.  If they are not removing the header then I don't think you will need the spacer, if they do, then you will need 2 studs, 2 spacers, and 2 nut/washers.