Author Topic: starting without the clutch pushed in?  (Read 1327 times)

lqdtrance

starting without the clutch pushed in?
« on: July 27, 2009, 05:08:07 PM »
I have a 93YJ and I can start it without the clutch being pushed in. Is this normal?

Offline chardrc

Re: starting without the clutch pushed in?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:24:58 PM »
my 1990 starts with the clutch not pushed in.... newer vehicles have a switch so you can't do that (aka my s10 :brick:).. its good to have a stater powerful enough to do that when your slave cylinder gives out...
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr

lqdtrance

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:44 PM »
ok, cool. My s10 was like that as well that is why I was a little concerned. I am also having other wierd issues with the electrical in my YJ, "Jeep hickups" thread. Just making sure it wasn't related.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:27:50 PM »
On offroad vehicles, this is a good thing; if you get stuck going uphill on a loose gravel road, starting with the clutch can be a real PITA, as the tires will have a hard time finding traction.  But slip your TC into 4L, stick the engine in 1st gear, pop the e-brake, and start the engine in gear, and since the tires move slowly, you will most likely end up moving forward...
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »
I have a 93YJ and I can start it without the clutch being pushed in. Is this normal?
it's normal, my 95YJ is the same.
and i've seen this on tv a long time ago - someone got stuck (engine stalled) on the train tracks and he put it in gear and cranked his way off the tracks, good option to have like ^ he said too.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 12:12:58 PM »
I hate the stupid starter interrupt switch for the clutch.  It's for stupid people who leave the transmission in gear and try to start it.  Do that a few times and you'll learn quickly to double check the transmission before starting.  Before people got stupid, you used to be able to start them with the clutch out.  And when offroading, you want to disable the switch (if you have one) so you can start it while in gear.  Some situations, you do not want to have to worry about rolling backwards.  BTW: even the stock starter will be able to do a few long pulls.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

dos0711

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 12:30:16 PM »
I love not having one. My 68 CJ got the ignition wet in a flooded road and I creeped out with the starter...lol

jwalls4x4

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 09:46:49 PM »
Some situations, you do not want to have to worry about rolling backwards.

Or, you can swap in an AT and have a peddle for each foot... :stick:

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:49 PM »
Or, you can swap in an AT and have a peddle for each foot... :stick:
i had a subaru that was fitted with a clutch brake valve (factory equipped) - when you had the brake pedal pressed and press the clutch it would hold the brake pressure in until you release the clutch - pretty neat feature, didn't have to worry of rolling backwards, i wonder if they are available as aftermarket upgrade.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline FourbangerYJ

• Servicing Squirrels Since 1995®
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:54:13 PM »
A hand throttle does about the same. Kinda like growing an extra foot. RE has them for about $30 or you can make your own with a bike shifter.
Scott~

Using tools you have not used in a while is like shaking hands with old friends. :nod:

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
A hand throttle does about the same. Kinda like growing an extra foot. RE has them for about $30 or you can make your own with a bike shifter.
They do help a lot especially when you're not geared low enough.  I've had mine since '97.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Offline chardrc

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
i had a subaru that was fitted with a clutch brake valve (factory equipped) - when you had the brake pedal pressed and press the clutch it would hold the brake pressure in until you release the clutch - pretty neat feature, didn't have to worry of rolling backwards, i wonder if they are available as aftermarket upgrade.

that would have been nice this weekend.. almost rolled bask into a tree which would have smashed my taillight (the new one non the less) i need to figure out how to connect my finger throttle to the throttle corectly.
1990 YJ 4cly, ax5, 2.5 inch BDS lift, 31 MTr\'s,  Powertrax-lockers all around, track-bars removed, boomerang shackles, warn m8000 winch, electric fan. [sold but not forgotten]

2007 jk Rubicon 2dr