Author Topic: some odd reving  (Read 675 times)

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
some odd reving
« on: July 29, 2009, 04:30:20 PM »
since ive installed the 62mm TB ive noticed some odd reving in the jeep. at idle it likes to spool up to about 1500rpms until i tap the gas, then it goes back down to about 700. when i put it in park, almost 90% of the time it spools up to about 1500rpms as well-does this in neutral too-and then goes down when i tap the gas..at slow speed (such as in traffic) it spools up too...hesitates..and then shifts but will go down to about 1k, and again will settle under 1k if i tap the gas. i havent borred out the intake opening could a pocket of air between the larger TB and my intake port be creating this? is this a computer issue? could this be related to my ungodly fuel consumption-perhaps my fuel regulator is shot?-maybe that's a seperate problem. any ideas would help.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it

chkustom

Re: some odd reving
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »
Try disconnecting the battery for a bout a minute, this will allow the computer to relearn itself. Hopefully this will solve your problem; if not check for vacuum leaks

Offline Bounty Hunter

• http://www.sija.org
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:01:58 PM »
Do you have the automatic transmission?

If it's having trouble returning to idle, you can try loosening the throttle plate screws and moving the throttle plate slightly in order for it to close more smoothly.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
since ive installed the 62mm TB ive noticed some odd reving in the jeep. at idle it likes to spool up to about 1500rpms until i tap the gas, then it goes back down to about 700. when i put it in park, almost 90% of the time it spools up to about 1500rpms as well-does this in neutral too-and then goes down when i tap the gas..at slow speed (such as in traffic) it spools up too...hesitates..and then shifts but will go down to about 1k, and again will settle under 1k if i tap the gas. i havent borred out the intake opening could a pocket of air between the larger TB and my intake port be creating this? is this a computer issue? could this be related to my ungodly fuel consumption-perhaps my fuel regulator is shot?-maybe that's a seperate problem. any ideas would help.

couple of things to check
 - did you change the tps and idle control valve from your old throttle body?
 - if not the above the butterfly might not close properly or you have excessive play in the butterfly shaft and it will not always seat properly
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

Offline stan98tj

• Empty Wallet Wheeling Since 2007®
  • Wheeling New England
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
thanks for the advice fellas-im gonna try tweaking the throttle plate and ill see what happens.
98 TJ 35"Maxxis Trep.Old Man Emu 2.5""+1"BL,IronMan Fab control arms,4.56gears,Ford 8.8+ARB,Currie/IronMan steering, WARN VR10,HP D30 sleeved+ RCV,Body Armor Rock Rails WISHLIST:TDi.Girlfriend hates it :) If you can read this don't flip me over i dont have any $$ left to fix it