Author Topic: Any concerns with running without a fan shroud?  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
Re: Any concerns with running without a fan shroud?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 12:51:24 PM »
gomi,
Please let us know how well it works. This mod has been on my list long enough   :eek:

X2
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

gomi

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 10:09:23 PM »
no pictures yet, but so far I'd say the fan works well. The positives are definetly noticable, You can tell that there is a bit more on the bottom end, it runs smoother and much quieter than before. I seem to be getting an extra 2 mpg but I may need drive a bit more and keep track of my mpg to be sure. Overall, it is a nice little improvement. As far as cooling goes, it blows a hell of alot more air onto the engine, but temps stay about the same as before, around 205 to 210 but never over 210 degrees.

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 11:22:34 PM »
no pictures yet, but so far I'd say the fan works well. The positives are definetly noticable, You can tell that there is a bit more on the bottom end, it runs smoother and much quieter than before. I seem to be getting an extra 2 mpg but I may need drive a bit more and keep track of my mpg to be sure. Overall, it is a nice little improvement. As far as cooling goes, it blows a hell of alot more air onto the engine, but temps stay about the same as before, around 205 to 210 but never over 210 degrees.

The temp should not go lower because then the thermostat would close to keep the engine temp, and you seem to be running at a perfect temp.  If it does not get to 210*, you are more than fine!
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

gomi

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
The temp should not go lower because then the thermostat would close to keep the engine temp, and you seem to be running at a perfect temp.  If it does not get to 210*, you are more than fine!
Awesome, the only other gripe I have is with the temp sensor the kit uses, its round and fairly long, much larger than it needs to be with no way of really securing it.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »
Awesome, the only other gripe I have is with the temp sensor the kit uses, its round and fairly long, much larger than it needs to be with no way of really securing it.

also depends on where you install it (close to the top of the rad would keep the overall temp cooler since it would turn on earlier and not account for the heat dissipation for the coolant passing thru the core even with the fan off). I kind of imagine what you mean by too long maybe you could use zip ties to strap it to the top tank (on the underside of the tank, horizontally, perpendicular to the tubes) that way would make contact to the top tank on the whole length of it and also to the tubes (i'm thinking the zipties would go under the sensor, thru the core between the tubes and over the tank, 2 of them should do probably) and also maybe use some thermal compound to add to the heat transfer (like the one used for CPU coolers) - just a thought, it won't be sticking out like a sore thumb in that case and i would just guess that the heat would transfer better since that portion that is not in the contact with the core would not have a chance to cool.
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end