Author Topic: Any concerns with running without a fan shroud?  (Read 2202 times)

gomi

Any concerns with running without a fan shroud?
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could help me. I was doing the electric fan install but the fan I bought was broken. So basiaclly I'm running without a fan shroud, was wondering if this was safe and how long I can run this way.

Offline oldjeep

• www.Oldjeep.com
Re: Any concerns with running without a fan shroud?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 03:31:03 PM »
I wouldn't run without it on a 4 cyl in the summer.  The fan is so far from the radiator that it's not going to get much air to go through the radiator without it.
Chuck P
The clowns'? Oh, yeah, the clowns. We fight them too — entire armies, spilling out of Volkswagons. We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending 'em in!
94 YJ - gone
98 ZJ - sons truck
97 TJ - daughters project

www.oldjeep.com

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:03 PM »
wow...back from the dead...glad to see you are still running your rig (and doing a mod even I haven't gotten around to doing yet... :'()
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:54:22 PM »
The only problem is overheating the engine when stopped.  As oldjeep said, the fan is too far back from the radiator to pull any air though it.  In short,  it's running without the fan.  If it's any extended period of time then I'd throw the shroud back on.  Although, if you haven't had any overheating problems, and are only driving it on short trips then you migth be able to hold off.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

Jesse-James

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
and doing a mod even I haven't gotten around to doing yet...

No doubt, didn't your mechanical try to help out a while back and attempt to leave the Jeep on it's own?  :twofingers:

Gomi, good to see you back!  :wave:

gomi

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 05:40:13 AM »
waiting on a new fan, but probably won't be in for a few days at least, the old shroud is all sorts of cut up as I cut it in order to reuse the radiator overflow and power steering bottles. Been losing sleep over this as my jeep is my daily driver. :'(

Offline Mozman68

• Poseur Extraordinaire®
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
In CT...with the weather you have been having...I imagine it would be fine.  Keep an eye on the temperature...try to keep moving... :thumb:
2009 Audi S5....what....its 4wd...sort of....

Offline jfrabat

• Gargantuan Mango Tree Mechanic®
  • Finally USING the Jeep!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 04:27:26 PM »
waiting on a new fan, but probably won't be in for a few days at least, the old shroud is all sorts of cut up as I cut it in order to reuse the radiator overflow and power steering bottles. Been losing sleep over this as my jeep is my daily driver. :'(

Gomi,

An easy way around this (band-aid fix, I know, but it should hold you off until the new shroud get there) is to simply shut the engine down when you get to a stop light.  When driving, the radiator gets enough air so as to not need the fan (in fact, my e-fan is off when I'm driving, and nly comes in when the Jeep is not rolling).  With the fan still turning, you should be fine for short stops with the engine running, but avoid long waits just sitting still with the engine on.  Just be sure you dont turn on the AC (if you have one) until you get the shroud back on.

Feipe
'94 YJ 2.5L with 4" RE lift, Superwinch EPi9.0, FoMoCo e-Fan, SD30 and SD35 w/ARB-5.13, 165A alt., 33" BFG KM2 on 15" AR wheels, Sony sound system, Pavement Ends Hardtop, Hydroboost

Got Wood?

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
I am not sure shutting the engine down at a stop light will help any, when you turn your engine off the water pump stops moving coolant, if you kill the engine and turn the key on so the guages come on you can watch the temp climb, as soon as you start it the temp will immediately beging to drop. Just my $.02. As everyone else has already said, keep and eye on it, try to take a route without much sitting in traffic, keep it moving and if it looks like it is going to be a problem try to find a shroud or a junk yard e-fan to get you by until you can get your new fan.

lanulos89

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
keeping the idle up at stop light will increase the speed of the pump and the fan will move air, the optimal would be to keep moving.  with all the rain we have been having, and all the cool weather, you will be fine.  if you start to over heat pull over and let it cool off you will prob be fine tho.

Offline sharpxmen

• Chief Squirrel Blower®
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
if you have a spare set of rad hoses you can just move it back towards the fan - you could ghetto a frame made of 2x6 (i think it would clear the fan) with 3'' framing screws if you have these around, would look hilarious (if not stupid, i can't believe i am actually suggesting this) but will get the job done.

EDIT: it's a retarded suggestion, but i can't think of anything else quicker other than an actual fan shroud that would keep you safe from overheating - never ran mine w/o the shroud so i can't really tell if it will overheat
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:36:04 PM by sharpxmen »
'95 YJ, NSG370 6spd / Hurst shifter, Dana 300 + 4:1 Doubler / tri-stick, Custom skid, Super D35 / Auburn LSD / 4.88, 35x12.5x15 BFG KM2, 64mm t/b, 1.7 RollerRockers, MkVIII e-fan, Dual Diaph Booster
Latest: Corbeau BajaRS heated seats :dance: keeping warm the rear end

gomi

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:26 AM »
well, looks like the earliest I can get a fan is wed. Hope it all works out. Wish me luck

Offline Jeffy

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
well, looks like the earliest I can get a fan is wed. Hope it all works out. Wish me luck
If you've been driving it since and it hasn't overheated, you'll be fine for a few days.
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZNlr60GXH5OlKIFrT7P6mg
My Jeep: http://4bangerjp.com/forums/index.php?topic=2783.0
"If the motor car were invented today, there is absolutely no way that any government in the world would let normal members of the public drive one."

gomi

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »
Yaaaay! My fine came in today. Its a kit from a company called FF Dynamics. Its a 16 inch fan that covers the entire radiator, has a low amp draw of 9 and a full speed draw of 16, hope this inst too much. I'll try to post some pics when Im done ;)

DaCarmack

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »
gomi,
Please let us know how well it works. This mod has been on my list long enough   :eek: